Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with Whole Wheat Bread- Next Topic  

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  2:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi all,

I am DESPARATELY in need of a decent recipe for 100% whole wheat bread that will actually rise higher than 3 inches!

My newest endeavor has been to master making bread by hand, but as yet, I can't seem to find a decent whole wheat recipe that I can get a nice high rise loaf out of.

I am using organic white whole wheat flour, and do not want to add any regular white flour- would rather use plain wheat flour, but I thought the white wheat was supposed to bake up better for bread. The latest recipe I have has me knead for 10 minutes, then let it rise 3 times, each for about 1-2 hours depending on what rise it is. I've got it to where it tastes good, and it's actually not too dense, but I can't seem to get it higher than about 3-4 inches. Fine for making half sandwiches, but my boys think its a bit odd.

Any tips? Suggestions? Recipes? All help and input is definitely welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Erica

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  4:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Erica and welcome!
I find when I'm using straight whole wheat flour or flour that I have ground myself, it really helps to sift it well. Also, I will usually add a tablespoon of wheat gluten to the flour to make a nicer texture and help it rise higher. A tablespoon of lemon juice will supposedly "condition" your flour as well.
Have you tried your recipe and only let it rise twice? When I bake bread, it rises once in the bowl and once in the bread pans. Just a thought.
I remember my first couple attempts at baking bread, even the chickens wouldn't eat it. LOL

Di
Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile
I have the best luck with King Arthur Flour recipes. Here's a link. One of these recipes has GOT to be good.
Good luck,
Barbara in OH

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/category.php?expand=C1&id=C31
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  6:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Di- my first batch would have made fabulous door stops actually, my oldest son (14) thought they would be good to carry in his backpack when biking home from swim practice for protection- if ever he needed any, he could sinly knock the person out by chucking a loaf of my bread at them! Thank you for the tips, I will try them, and to Barbara, I will check out the recipe link as well- tomorrow I am trying again, so, cross your fingers for me- lets hope I come out with more bread than brick! =)
Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  7:28:40 PM  Show Profile
First thing I'd think about is the freshness of your yeast, and if it's the right yeast for the job. Store unused yeast in the fridge.

Second thing would be the temperature of your water or milk and flours. Water should be 110 degrees when the yeast goes in. With my KitchenAid mixer, that means 120 degrees before it goes in the bowl. I use an Instant Read thermometer to make sure it's the temperature I need. Flour, eggs, fats, and other ingredients should all be room temperature.

Then I'd wonder about the temperature where it's rising. I use my oven for a proof-box, with the oven light on. It makes it just warm enough for a nice rise; but not too warm. Too warm gives you bread that balloons up with big pourous holes. It often has a too-yeasty flavor, more like dirty socks. (Blech!) Too cold inhibits rise. It's okay to keep dough rising longer if it's been kept cool.

You have to know what the dough should look like when it's time to punch it down. If you poke it and it springs back slightly, put it back for another 20-30 minutes and check again. You want to have it so it's double the size, and when you poke it with a finger it doesn't spring back but instead deflates slightly. But don't wait too long for this. Yeast is a living thing, and it's growth is what gives you the little bubbles in the dough. If it grows too long without those bubbles being punched down or released, it'll drown in it's own waste. (Blech again.) Then your dough won't rise well in the second rise.

Gluten flour will give you some loft too. Gluten is the component in the flour that gives you elasticity, and makes the bubbles stretch big. You can use about two tablespoons per loaf to get a nice rise.

However, with the white whole wheat, I find I never have to add gluten flour. I get a great rise without it. It's okay to let whole wheat breads raise on the outside time in the recipe. Like if it says to rise 45 minutes to an hour, you can generally assume an hour will do it. Just give it a peek at 45 minutes.

And I don't know for sure why this is, but sometimes bread in the summer fails to get the loft of bread in the winter. Personally, I wonder if it's because the flour absorbs a bit of moisture from the humid air, and then we inadvertantly add too much flour trying to get the right texture for our dough. I err a bit on the sticky side; too much flour can give you a doorstop loaf. My bread's been downright pretty since I've been trying to observe this.

And how do I know this stuff? I've been baking just about all the baked goods my family eats for thirty years, and I've made each and every one of the mistakes above. The good news is those doorstops work well when sliced thin. I tell people that I'm making a kind of melba toast.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  10:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I don't use yeast, but have had good luck with this ww quick bread recipie.

3 c. regular (not bread) ww flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c oil
1 1/4 c water

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I found this in the book Easy Bread Making for Special Diets by Nicolette M. Dumke. It was intended to be used in a bread machine, but I shove it in the oven all the time.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  2:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Thanks to MaryAnn and Trina as well! Trina I will try the recipe you gave and MaryAnn- I am thinking perhaps I am letting my dough get too dry when kneading, when I see it a little sticky, I flour away..=/ I am printing out everything you all have suggested and will keep trying until I get it right. Today I am trying one of the recipes Barbara suggested from the King Arthur Website- it's on it's second and last rise.

MaryAnn- thanks for the details and specifics, it will be a big help I already know. No one I know makes bread- well, they do in a bread machine (which I have done a ton of times). I want to get this making it myself thing down though- it's become a challenge and now I can't stop trying until I get it right.

Thanks again ladies, I appreciate the input. How nice would it be if you could just come by and show me! :)

Erica
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:15:00 PM  Show Profile
I second what Mary Ann said about getting less of a rise in the summer.

I have also found that using a mixer gets my WW recipes kneaded sooooo much better than I can by hand. Even when my dough feels right, by hand, it never comes out as lofty as when using a mixer!!

I second the King Arthur recipes too. They are great.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  08:06:46 AM  Show Profile
I'll third the King Arthur recipes. I love their books and their products. It's one of the things I really splurge on and order all I want from their website and catalog. What a load of fun if you're a person who's into baking!
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile
So Mary Ann, (nak, oht)

Which items have you really gotten the most use out of? I am always a bit skeptical about too many gadgets. Silly, I know but when I get excited about something, like crafting, sewing, baking,etc. I tend to go overboard and buy everything I think I need. Then I don't need half of it. So if you wouldn't mind sharing what you have really found useful for breadbaking, I would love to hear!! I am coveting the loaf pan with the steam lid. Forgot the name of it. But soft crusts would be really awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  09:01:39 AM  Show Profile
I recieved a bread recipe book back in the early 80's. Its no longer in publication, but I did learn something very valuable from it. When I proof my yeast, I add about 1/4 tsp, of sugar and just a pinch of ginger. I dont' know why this works (the ginger doesn't flavor anything) but its amazing. The bread rises just fine. I think proofing it in a dark tinted glass or opaque bowl that has been warmed with hot water first, helps as well.
Good luck!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  09:04:04 AM  Show Profile
Jana, you're correct that yeast will proof better when fed sugar right away. Or honey, or molasses. It puffs right up! I've never heard of using ginger, though. I wonder if it acts as a conditioner?

Tracey, for the most part I still use my inexpensive Pyrex loaf pans. I have a couple 8.5x4" pans, as well as one 9x5" (I broke one), and some mini loaf pans. But I also use a beautiful clay cloche my mom got for me years ago, a French bread pan (looks like a gutter), a new Po'Boy pan for hero or hoagie type rolls, a rye bread pan (broad and shallow), as well as good cookie sheets, muffin pans, etc. From among these, I get the most use out of the 8.5x4" pans for daily loaves, because so many things can be done with them.

But the place where I splurge is on things like different kinds of ingredients! I really love the new organic white whole wheat flour, and I buy usually fifteen pounds at a time for just hubby and me. I like their potato flour (adds crunch to toast; add about 1/2 c per five cups of flour), their brown rice flour (adds a sandy, brittle texture to shortbread or other cookies), the pizza blend, the artisan flour (makes great baguettes), the coarse white sugar (very pretty sprinkled on top of a piecrust brushed with beaten egg), etc. I've recently begun playing with their different 'flavorings' such as the honey cracked wheat stuff and the herb bread stuff. Since it's just hubby and me, it doesn't make sense for me to do the whole cracked wheat route; this makes it very easy to turn out a single nice loaf. And I really love their Saf yeast, a French yeast that is incredibly reliable.

The only thing I've ever gotten from them that didn't work wonderfully was an olive oil sprayer. Danged thing squirted for a grand total of less than thirty seconds. I let them know, and believe it or not they credited my account for the full amount! I didn't even have to send the thing back.

I also got some dynamite cooling racks from them. They're very sturdy and are better quality than anything else I've ever seen.

They did throw in a bag of free blueberry muffin mix once. I didn't like them, but hubby did.

Oh, I forgot my KitchenAid mixer! While I didn't get it from them, I do use that a great deal.

I have a list of stuff to get with my next order. One of the things on it is bread bags. When you stop buying grocery store bread, eventually you have nothing to put your bread in because even though you recycle the bags, they get gross after awhile. I've pestered my other family members for bread bags long enough; I'm going to splurge and buy some.
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  09:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary Ann!! I have eyeballed the French bread pans for some time now and think I need to splurge.

I have GOT to have a kitchen aid mixer. In fact, I was in bed dreaming of it last night. I burned the motor out of 2 cheapies already. They just can't handle even 1 loaf at a time of WW bread. Thanks for the tips about the diff. flours. I grind my organic berries with a Whisper Mill that my mom bought for me in exchange for baking bread for her!! The berries I get from our local food buying club (like a co-op) but we don't have to work it.

I am gonna check out the artisan flour for sure!!!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  09:45:59 AM  Show Profile
Tracey, you will absolutely love a KitchenAid. I make all our baked goods, and in the 28 years we've been married, I wore out one and am on my second. I think it's at least ten or maybe fifteen years old. They're wonderful for home bakers!
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Mary Ann- I might be a dork here, but did you post where you buy your flours and gadgets etc...that you talked about in your last post? Would love to get some bread bags- among other things...

Thanks,
Erica =)
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  1:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh my mymy!!! www.kingarthurflour.com. More fun than anyone should ever have with baking stuff! To die for!
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  4:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
THANKS SO MUCH everyone!!!! I have just pulled out my second loaf of wonderful wheat bread! One is sourdough whole wheat, and one is a nice honey whole wheat. BOTH rose, both are light and get the "A-okay" from my pickiest eater who LOVES bread- my 7 y.o. Noah! Also managed some great whole wheat parmesan herb rolls too- thank you all, because of your help, I figured out what I was doing wrong- AND switched to King Arthur recipes (way better). HUGE difference. No more door stops!

THANKS TONS!!!!! Yay!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  6:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Woohoo!!!

*high five for Erica*
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile
GREAT JOB!!! So glad it passed the Noah test. I love having great food critics in the house (sometimes)!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin almost 3 and Andrew 6 months!!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with Whole Wheat Bread- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page