countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  06:33:28 AM  Show Profile
I know there are many different definitions on "camping" depending on who you are talking to but I'm thinking more about wilderness camping.

I've camped pregnant with my two toddlers last year in a state park campground in a tent - which wasn't bad at all! I would totally do it again because we all had a blast, even though it poured like crazy our last night we stayed nice and dry because I picked a good spot for our tent!

I am wondering about wilderness camping though. Like walking in, or riding horses in to a camp site and staying there. We have two toddlers and a baby. Has anyone else done this? I'm not saying we are for sure going to do it or not but I would like to know if anyone else has done it and if they have any tips for me? We do cloth diapers so diapering won't be an issue and by the time we go one or both of the toddlers will probably be fully potty trained... Any one else wilderness camp with young kids? I would love to hear your stories!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  1:50:16 PM  Show Profile
We went on a 9 mile pack trip with horses when my oldest daughter was 2. It was a lot of fun. She and I had ridden many a mile together on our old gentle horse, but this was the longest time ever. She went to sleep early on and slept off and on most of the way. We had a pad that fit around the horn of my saddle, she straddled the horn and leaned against me, I held her with one arm and the reins with the other. It was great. She slept with me in a large sleeping bag. It was nice weather and we didn't even set up the tent. We just slept under the stars. She had been around camp fires, so that was no problem, and I have never thought that clean dirt ever did a kid harm. She fished in the lake with us, and played in the little creek that ran thru our camp.
My Grandmother traveled by horse with her children all the time. She wrapped little ones in a shawl and tied it around her so the baby was on her chest. That left both of her hands free. When she had two little ones that couldn't ride by themseleves, and a very small baby, she would carry the littlest one herself, and put the other two in pack boxes on a pack horse and lead the pack horse.
I have only done this with one little one at a time, it would be harder with 3, but you take care of them at home, so I am sure you can do the same in camp. Our kids have wonderful memories of our camp trips. So go for it.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  1:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Kyrstle, I have tell you that we did get some flack from another camper for having our child out in the middle of nowhere. And in this day and age, you need to be prepared for that reaction.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  2:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Krystle,
My kids are adults now but we took them on backpacking and camping trips (way back in the woods dry camping) of all kinds . . and my son has Down Syndrome. The only way he could "use the facilities" in the forest was on a potty that we carried along . . :) Even now, as an adult, he sometimes goes with us and does well. He doesn't live with us any more but he lives within 5 miles and we do include him from time to time. Of course, my daughter is my "glamping" partner . . .
If I had it to do all over I'd do it that way again because it was wonderful.

I agree with Kennie Lyn, that you have to prepare for reactions . . not that you have to "defend", just be prepared. But, more importantly, be prepared for any medical situations that may happen. First Aid/CPR knowledge and adequate supplies.
There are benefits boo-coo to taking your kids with you!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  06:18:46 AM  Show Profile
So our camping trip was an absolute success! Yes, we did get some looks when we camped in an actual campground when I pulled out the 8-9 month old baby but no one really had a problem with the 2 other kids. I did have one lady ask me if they got cold at night and I told her they have footie sleepers on and blankets so they are lots warmer than me and they love camping! She seemed satisfied with that. Anyway we had such a great time, now that we are back home the kids are asking to go back camping because they loved it so much! The baby did great, we brought the small pack n play for her to roam in when we had the fire going to cook on and such and I baby wear too so she didn't have a problem and the other kids had a blast playing with rocks and sticks, I can't wait to go on our next camping trip! I"m so glad my kids love camping as much as my husband and I love it!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  09:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY! Krystle, glad to hear it was a fun and positive experience! Camping is a great experience for kiddos!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2012 :  11:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Yeah Kristle, Sounds like you all had a great time. Keep camping, your kids will always remember these trips. Good for you. Kennie Lyn

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Camping with Toddlers and a Baby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page