36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  3:51:34 PM  Show Profile
Lately my washing machine has a strong grease/oil smell during the spinning cycle. Not everytime, just every now and then. I thought some part inside was going bad (just my luck) so I did some research on it to see if there was a DIY on youTube or the likes.
What I wasn't expecting to find is that there are a lot of others with the same issue and it is not even the machine itself. It is supposably the gunk in the line. You could test this by smelling the hole behind the washer where the water pipe empties the draining water. Yes, I did and and PPPPPUUUUUU. It smells like used gear oil GAG!!! On the forums I was reading it said to run an empty load with bleach, so I did. It lasted a few washes, maybe 10. Anyone else had this issue. What did you do?

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!

Edited by - 36paws20hooves on Jun 28 2012 3:52:33 PM

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  5:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Vinegar. Use it in your downy ball in stead of fabric softner.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2012 :  11:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Is your machine HE? I work at a vacation cabin rental place (over 30 cabins, so we do alot of laundry!) and we have a problem with HE machines stinking. We run empty loads with bleach or with vinegar and that helps abit. The owners won't buy HE machines anymore, they have too many issues. As they break down we are replacing them with tradition machines. Oh, they also sell a machine rinse at walmart but I don't know the cost or how effective it is. Hope you find a fresh solution!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  02:55:27 AM  Show Profile
I was also going to suggest the vinegar like Amy did. I have a front loading machine and they are known for being stinky! This seems to work a bit better...I also leave the door open after washes!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  3:39:26 PM  Show Profile
I have a front loading HE machine. Use to have that stinky smell to in my machine. But have been wiping down the inside of the door and the inside of the rubber part in the front and I also make my own softener using vinegar and water and cheap hair conditioner as well as my homemade laundry detergent. Once a month I run bleach through it. Really think wiping down the door and inside front has helped with the smell and especially leaving the door wide open to air out really helps too. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  5:41:29 PM  Show Profile
I have an HE front-loader and I leave the door open when it's not in use. Works pretty well for us :)

My husband is a mechanic/driver, so his clothes are gross nasty oily sometimes... I use oxyclean and a presoak. Are you washing greasy clothes/items? If not, I'd be very concerned about this...

I hope you're able to fix it on the cheap!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.

Edited by - YakLady on Jun 29 2012 5:45:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  8:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Tomorrow I will put vinegar in my downey ball and try it. My washer is beginning to have a smell. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2012 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
Wow...my husband used to be a Sears Service Technician for 20 years before his military career. They had this problem years ago in combination washer and dryers. He is aware the front loaders cause the same problem because the seal is under water and lint gets caught along the seal. You are trapping moisture inside the machines causing mold. The only thing you can really do is once every couple of weeks fill up the washer with hot water and pour in a cup of distilled vinegar and run a cycle. It is imperative you leave the door cracked open when not in use, but be careful if you have small children as they have been known to climb inside. Unfortunately, these front loader models also are more expensive to repair. When our washer died, he insisted that we only buy the basic top loading agitating washing machine, eventhough it uses more water, because you will have less problems. They may not look as snappy, but they have fewer problems. Keep it simple when buying appliances. His sister didn't listen to his advice, and she eventually had to replace her machine after several service calls for her mold issues.
So many people bought these front loaders, and now Tide is making a special detergent to help resolve this problem.
Best to you!
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  06:41:48 AM  Show Profile
I just purchased an HE front loader. My stepmom said she loves her but noticed it would smell sometimes.
She said that she leaves the door open after she does a load to dry out the door seal. She said she doesn't have problems with that smell anymore.

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  11:04:04 AM  Show Profile
I agree you have to be dilegent about cleaning under the rubber casing inside the washer and getting all the gunk out. Also regular monthly cleanings using bleach, vinegar or store bought is very important. I've had my front loader HE machine ever since we built our house 6 years ago and have had no problems with it at all. Maybe it's because we have good well water.
But the important thing is to clean, clean, clean.
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  7:32:58 PM  Show Profile
I have a front loader HE and toss a handful of baking soda in every load (right on top) and the weird smells are no longer there!

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bbrillon
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Becky
Plainfield Illinois
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  7:14:42 PM  Show Profile
I've used the washing machine cleaner from the store. It think Tide makes it. I used it once about six months ago and would use it again when I need to. I don't have a front load machine, even though the product is made for front loaders.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Stinky washing machine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page