princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  04:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I have been scouring Michigan for the perfect 'little' camper to restore for hubby and I. He, of course, thinks I'm crazy for wanting an older camper, without the luxuries of the new ones.

As of yet I have not found the perfect one.....within my frugal price-range and ability to be able to do all the work myself......hehe

I would love to see pictures of everyone's campers/glampers. I want to be able to show hubby my ideas. And I know all of you gals have great ideas and vision.

So round-up and show-off your glampers!!!!!

Thanks bunches
Arttie

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  09:45:30 AM  Show Profile
lol Arttie, I'm in the same boat with DH, he wants a camper all right! But, new too! lol I am like older is better built, more in our price range and so what I would like! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  12:56:47 PM  Show Profile
You gals should go to the sisters on the fly website and check out all the vintage beauties there!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2012 :  11:27:32 PM  Show Profile
oops! sorry i missed this thread...yep, Sisters on the Fly is a great resource as is TinCan Tourists...
You can also go to my 'gracies' blog,,,to see picutres i have posted of my trailer and others,, also 'kpaints' here on the MJF forum has photos...
Happy trails....

my Serro Scotty 1963

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  03:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Love It. That is exactly what I am looking for in a camper. Perfect size for Hubby and I to go on weekends. He teases me because everything I LOVE is tiny. I am 4'11" and pretty small (no I won't post my weight!) and he is 6'2" and 275 lbs. I promised I would install a doggy door so his feet could fit off the end of the bed......hehehe.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  10:23:14 AM  Show Profile
oh what a hoot!
my DH is 6'1" so we joke about him causing static electricity when he comes into my Scotty trailer... cus his hair rubs on the ceiling! lol!
now in the other trailer, my '64 Fleetcraft, he can stand up in no probs! lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  4:50:19 PM  Show Profile
ok funny, I decided to get on Craig's List after reading this thread...I now have a trailer! lol haha

Ok here's the deal, I have a pop up-1 I could afford it, and 2 it is light enough for us to haul. 3 I needed more bed space then most cause we have 3 kids.

Funny I am also short! 4' 8" here! lol Hubby is about 4' 11". lol

DH and I would rather have a regular trailer (not pop up) but right now don't have money / time for one-money for one in goos shape, or time to fix one not in good shape. But eventually that's our dream. For now though I have all kinds of ideas flying to glamp this pop up, up! At first dh said he didn't want me to spend much time or money on this pop up (glamping it up, we got a really good deal on it, paid only about 60% of what they were asking on CL, and only about 10% of what the dealers around here were trying to sell used ones for!). He said he thinks in about 3 years we will have the money to buy a better one. But, I said I think it will take us more time then that. And in the mean time I would like this as a hobby...cincher I got him with, is I told him, fine, we will buy something better later, BUT, don't worry about the time and money I put in this one, cause we won't sell it (he was thinking we wouldn't get money back out of it with all my ideas I wanted to add to it), and that my plan was to never sell it, I would use it for just me and the kids some times, AND for sure it could be used later for JUST the kids, like when they had sleep overs and stuff in the back yard. He liked that idea a lot, and with that gave me the go ahead to do what ever I wanted with it!

1) I will get cute bedding first!
2) been searching web for fabric for the curtains.
3) also searching for the fabric I will be redoing the cushions in.
4) going to pain it! inside and out.
5) will get new stuff for the floor-glamp it up, the floor is fine but, I want a glamper, not a camper! lol

Please please post all inside pics girls, I want all the ideas you can come up with!

I love that afgahn! Man I was in a hurry last week and was at a estate sale that had a lot of them, but I HAD to get out, but they were having a sale every thing you could fit in a bag for 3 dollars...I didn't have the camper yet, and I live in a SMALL apartment-1 bedroom, 3 kids! So I couldn't justify it and only came home with one afgahn, again though I was in a hurry and running late to a appointment, and would of came home with more even though we do live in such a small place...I sure wished I had had more time for that sale! UHG!

Any way....please post lots and lots of pics.

Our camper is around 1987, and is ugly brown and green. I'm not real in love with it's colors...from looking around the net, I think we will be going with soft blue, soft pink, and some bams of red! For sure retro-not 80's though! lol More like 40's/50's.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  08:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Heather, it's all about the fun...and fun includes hitting Thrifts, Estate sales & getting cast offs from friends & family...
Nearly everything in both my trailers is re-purposed... oh & don't under-estimate the resourcefulness of old sheets... they do make great bedding, as well as curtains, upholstry, crochet ragrugs...etc...
I just recently spotted a reupurposed lamp shade into a sweet deco piece for a friends trailer.. she bought a cheap lamp shade from the Thrift, took off the fabric cover then she went through her fabric scraps & cute 1" x 4" strips and tied them on to the wire frame of the lampshade... now she hangs it outside her camp site for decoration...
You can pick a theme & run with it,,, whether it's Western, vintage, Shabby Chic or what ever,,, make it fun. Oh and one thing I would suggest, 'keep it light'.. keep in mind that you will be towing not only the trailer but your deco stuff... and I use those big 'tupperware' type containers...you can buy them @ K-mart & Wal-mart to store & tote your deco stuff....
Oh you are going to have such fun...

I don't usually cook inside my Scotty trailer so I made a tray from a picture frame & 2 forks, both Thrift finds...I use the tray as extra counter space.

I found a table cloth at a Vintage shop, and then my neighbor found the cute lace panal & gave it to me......
Anyway, you get the idea,,, now go have fun! :>)
(& yes, I decopauged my table with free graphics that I downloaded from the internet... I spray painted the table 1st, decopauged, added a tad of glitter and then polyvarathed it with 3 coats...)

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Jul 03 2012 08:08:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  08:16:44 AM  Show Profile
oh & don't forget to go through your '''stuff'' sometimes we pack away stuff because we don't want to part with them,,,and they make great trailer deco... :>)
I have been in several 'quilt block swaps' here in the MJF forum,,and since the quilts are small they make perfect trailer wall deco,,, plus they give added warmth...

quite the mess, but I like collecting and then have fun decorating with what I find,,, and if I end up with to much I store the extra in those big plastic containers, because I do like to change things out from time to time...
also, old luggage & baskets make great 'stow-n-Go' for your deco stuff...

As for the curtains, I bought red burlap @ Joann's (w/the 40% off coupon) and found a red sheet at the Thrift for $1.99 to use as lining for the curtains as well as pillow backing fabric...
My mom came across the lace boarder at a Thrift for under $3.00 and there was enough to do all my curtains,,, way cheaper then buying at the fabric store! Even my mom is on the look-out for stuff for my trailers... I love my mommy!

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Jul 03 2012 08:21:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  08:23:19 AM  Show Profile
I've settled on shabby chic.

And oh yes, sheets for everything! lol

I had thought about decoupaging the table too, but decided I am going to decoupage the ceiling. I will paint it first too...either light blue or light pink. Then I'm going to put up pics of us different places in the camper!, thrifted doilies, and cut out pics from seed catalogs and put all over the ceiling. It will be a work in progress. We don't have much space, so we won't be having a lot of decor stuff, mainly things that are pretty yet, needed-IE we need bedding, so I'm going with pretty! lol haha Every thing will be part of the over all decor.

For the tent pop outs, I'm thinking about making pretty curtains and velcroing them above the zippered windows. I've also been toying with the idea of using spray adhesive on the tent pop ups and sticking lace table cloths to it. Cause the tent is kind of ugly....

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  2:25:40 PM  Show Profile
yep, using linens & doilies are a great way to decorate... and as for having fun you can always go wild with your outdoor decorating... but bottom line, have fun...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

JerseyGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Michele
Southern NJ
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  05:02:05 AM  Show Profile
OMGosh Grace, they are too adorable for words! Now you're gonna have me on a search for my own glamper!
Go to Top of Page

Rustic Reb
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Rebecca
Pickford Michigan
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  06:26:36 AM  Show Profile
This sounds like so much fun. I'm styling up my own oldies trailer. I had planned to put it on an island here. All was set to go and the family that has the old abandoned resort that I wanted to pull it on....well the hired me on as caretaker and let me use a cabin. Awesome. So the trailer is still in my yard on the mainland. I'll be working on this all summer and winter. I'm going to do my table up with the same idea.

Don't be sorry that it's over... Be glad that it happened.
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile
you guys are great. Hubby has been looking at all the pictures.....and has gotten 'on board' with finding the perfect camper. I have pitched my case and he is in agreement. He knows that I won't spend a ton of money doing this project and loves that about me.

I have been scouring craigslist. But of course I won't spend the money until he ok's all the structural, wiring and road-worthy stuff. He is the best. And now he is seeing my vision and thinks it looks like fun.

Keep posting .......love the ideas
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  10:43:54 PM  Show Profile
I am sure your hubby knows,,,but just a tip I always pass on to ladies out 'Trailer Trolling'... bring a flashlight, a screwdriver & your knows! the flash light to peek into cabinets & the underside of the trailer... the screwdriver to poke around the wood on the underside to make sure it is not rotted away...and your nose,,,smell for extrem musty/moldy odors... if they have a candle burning, most likely they are trying to mask the mold odor.
Make sure the floor fills solid, not 'soft' and ofcourse checlk around the door & windows for excessive water staining..a little is one thing but if there is a lot,,, most likely the frame work is not solid... also, go around the outside of the trialer and push on the metal... if there is wood rot you'll feel the metal give..and also check out the metal over the Hitch,,, if it is bowed and sagging/resting on the hitch you have major front wood rot.... that being said,,, finding the perfect trailer is like looking for a Prince and ya know what they say,,, ya gotta kiss alot of frogs before you find your Prince...but you will find that perfect lil trailer...goodness knows I have 1 frog' out in the barn torn down to the frame... lol!
well have fun and enjoy the journey....
Happy trails!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  10:47:07 PM  Show Profile
oh and I posted a bunch more pics on my 'gracies' blog... of 2 of my 3 trailers...
fyi, I use those "3m" wall hooks with the pull tabs for easy removal so i don't have to put nail holes all over my trailer...& now they have them w/Velcro...
***just always remember to remove everything off the walls when towing.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  07:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Gracie . . . sometimes I wish I had a trailer to haul ALL of our glamping goodies around in. It's a MAJOR haul issue in cars. For our current glamping trip we loaded a lot of our stuff into our van, my hubby drove it up to cpgd, unloaded it and will come back up Friday AM to get it. I also had my car loaded.
I could also KEEP a lot of in the trailer in between trips without having to unload vehicles . . . I'm still looking!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  08:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey CeeJay, check out fiberglass trailers like SCAMP, Casitis, Burro.... you can still find the older ones, made in the 1970's still in good shape & on the road..
They are lite weight enough to be pulled w/a 4-cyl....the 13footers usually weigh in at around 900lbs dry wt. which means what the trailer weighe befor you start loading it up.....so it's pretty much an easy tow for a smaller car.
The 13' are narrow and so easy peasy to tow... My 1st trailer was a 13' SCAMP 1976 and I had it deco's out in organge & avacado green in sort of a 'Dean Martin' music Lounge.... I loved watching the Dean Martin show on TV when I was in my late Teens.... I wish I still had it...
Maybe one of these days I'll go on the hunt again for another one...

>^..^<

I have more pictures of my SCAMP somewhere...just wanted to show you the inside, very basic utilitarian... MyDH re did the cabinet doors and table...He also had to re-fabricate the back window with plexi glass. He also re-did the floors...
anyways, I'll root around and see where the rest of the photos are...but I suspect they are/were on my old laptop that crashed 3 yrs ago.... uugghh!

Edited by - katmom on Jul 05 2012 08:11:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wendy Flower
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Wendy
Gladstone ND
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2014 :  4:19:00 PM  Show Profile
I bought plans from ebay to make a camper, but now I have some other options. Maybe I should barter or sell my plans. Anyways if you want to see that camper option it's here <http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEARDROP-Camper-Trailer-Tear-Drop-RV-Camp-PLANS-2-/181319806462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3780adfe>

Wind Farmer & Seamstress.
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic campers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page