True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  5:07:00 PM  Show Profile
At least not in my world!

Is there such a thing as a comfortable bra??!!

Seriously, I'd love to get some recommendations. Must have: straps that will stay up and at the end of the day won't make you say, "bras should be outlawed"!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts!
Darlene

"Support your local fire departments and rescue squads...volunteers making a difference"

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  5:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see these answers! I have not found one yet...

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  5:42:21 PM  Show Profile
I have not found one either. I think the large Ta-Ta's are part of my problems!

Perhaps those with smaller needs have better luck!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  6:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Underwire or no underwire, sports, sleep or whatever they want to call it.---hurtful...Just when I think I find one, it disappoints me at the end of the day also. I have even been measured and fitted and custom made, not! Went to the pink store at the mall, and tried on the miracle bra or whatever maybe it is called the wonderbra--well it made me wonder what the miracle could be? lol...I don't know if there is one, wish I knew also!! And in this Texas heat, my will come off in the barn, thank goodness for t-shirts and the animals don't care if I have one on or not!
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.
Michelle, you are not to terribly far from me. I live outside of Montgomery about 10 miles from lake conroe. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  7:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
About the only thing that has come close for me is the 18 hour bra sometimes found at Wal-Mart. I need to go in and have a professional fit done. Bras that used to feel okay are now not fitting the same as I am losing weight. Good luck with your hunt!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  8:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Haven't found one yet!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  9:52:16 PM  Show Profile
The 18 hour bra doesn't come in my size....:( It was one I remember growing up but they have never made my size.

1. Elomi, I love them. great awesome, etc. Hold up so well!

2. Bella Donna-beautiful and I like a lot too.

And finally 3 my new obsession making my own! I just made my first bra this week, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It is my first "pretty" bra, and it's nursing to boot! I hover between a H and I cup depending on how much milk I'm carrying that day/hour. As you can imagine there's not many nursing bras that come in a H or a I cup. (thankfully Elomi does, but that's besides the point, while a great bra, still ugly nude! lol). I made a RED bra, yeaaaaaaaaah. I love it. I have a zebra and rose one up next on the sewing table, then a leopard and hot pink one....and then I want a lacy one....and I can go on and on and on. I've never got to wear anything pretty....they never make anything pretty in my size. Oh fredricks of hollywood SAYS they go to my size, and I thought maybe they did cause of strippers and their um...fake ones...but really I found they are just heavily padded out to make you look like you are a H or a I cup, but they really aren't meant for that large of breast....I couldn't fit in them! But, now making my own is awesome.

I don't know where you live, but I took a course for it at Needle Nook Fabrics in Wichita, Kansas. However, she travels the world (quite literally, she even teaches on cruises! lol) and teaches bra making, her DD and her have designed their own bra patterns. And when you sign up for a class with her she personally does all the measuring, fitting and drafts up your pattern specifically for you, and your fit. It's perfect, and is pretty too!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  05:07:36 AM  Show Profile
The one I found was the most comfortable was by a company called Exquisite Form, but the place I used to get them doesn't carry them any more - figures...........

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  06:32:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sissarge

Michelle, you are not to terribly far from me. I live outside of Montgomery about 10 miles from lake conroe. Farmgirl #946 Linda

Well how nice! You will need to keep an eye on the Montgomery County Farmgirl Chapter led by Primitive Diva. Her and I have been brainstorming to come up with fun activities for us local girls. If you know anyone else, let them know we are planning some things and if you have any ideas we are open to suggestions!

Good to meet you, hope to do so in person soon!

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  06:46:04 AM  Show Profile
I hate them all! My biggest problem (besides finding one that actually fits and supports....) has always been finding styles that aren't made with any kind of synthetic fabric or trim that I'm allergic to.

I'm active, so I need lots of support. But sport bras are made with all sorts of synthetic moisture wicking techno-fabrics that usually send me sprinting to get out (of them) ASAP. Every once in awhile I'll find something that works but by the next time I go back to buy more that style is no longer available.

I'm not much into sewing, but maybe making my own is an option I should consider.

Ever wonder where the idea of wearing bras came from? Women don't wear them in Africa, The Amazon Rainforest or plenty of other places in the world and seem to do just fine without them! I'm just sayin....

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Jun 25 2012 06:47:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  07:37:15 AM  Show Profile
yeah I would like to kick the person who invented them. lol At the same time I can't help but look in the mirror and know that the girls where they should be (half way between shoulder and elbow) looks a lot better then when they are around my belly button! lol haha However, if the sadistic man (had to be a man right?) that invented the bra had never existed, I would never know it would look better, and would happily go around with my breasts around my knees....lol hahaha One of my friends said once that a African tribe considers it very good when a woman's breast hangs low like that cause it means she has nursed many babies.....yeah....that's what it means.....hahaha however sadly our society doesn't feel the same admiration for such. lol If only! hahaha

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  08:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Years ago, I was a professional bra fitter for Jockey. Most women, believe it or not, are wearing the wrong size! That's a lot of what I am hearing in these posts.

If there is a Jockey outlet nearby, I encourage you to get fitted; it's absolutely free. If your straps slide, either try a racer back style or go up a band size (changes the leverage). If the straps dig in, go up a size. Believe it or not, the weight of the girls is supported by the BAND, not the straps! If the straps are holding you up, you will be in pain.

If you have big ones--find the nearest lingerie store. I am not being lewd or sarcastic. Lingerie specialty companies carry much larger sizes than regular stores--or underwear companies for that matter! The largest size carried by underwear stores is usually 42DDD. Lingerie companies often go to 46E, if not bigger.

By the way, if there isn't a store nearby and you want a proper fitting, let me know and I will post instructions.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  08:58:44 AM  Show Profile
Well, I found one I like at Target and prior to that I'd been paying big dollars for Wacoal, but they didn't hold up the way I though they should for $60 a pop. This one from Target:
http://www.target.com/p/self-expressions-by-lilyette-full-figure-unlined-t-shirt-bra-assorted-colors/-/A-13760393

Is my new favorite. A Lilyette brand product, it's called a "tshirt bra" but it's a gorgeously soft fabric, the straps NEVER fall off my shoulders and I can't even tell I have a bra on--which is saying something considering my chest got HUGE when I was pregnant with Violet and didn't really go "down" like I would have liked. It's also really comfortable in this hot, humid weather. I'm a "no frills" kind of bra gal, and I absolutely love this one--just enough detail to be pretty but totally a working bra. I have....3 in nude, and 1 in black.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile
lol, my daughter and I were just discussing this, I don't have one really comfortable one anymore. the straps slide, I hate underwires, I told her the older I get the more uncomfortable they are. I prefer lately just a cami with support built in.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  1:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Jonni that bra is adorable.. Do the make it in a 60 triple Q?
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  2:43:12 PM  Show Profile
OK Jonni, now I am going to have to get one and try it out!

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  6:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Alyce you are right it's the band that holds things up...then getting the right cup size, most women keep going up in band size, cause they don't realize there is larger then DDD cups out there. So they think they must need a larger band, when in reality a larger cup is what they need. It really varies from store to store, most stores do only carry up to DDD (which is F, E is DD). However, it really just depends on the store, your average store usually won't carry over a F cup and even the F is smaller then some brands Fs.

However some lingerie stores go up to P cup....I believe My Intimacy in NYC does. Nordstroms goes up to at least K, cause my MIL wears K and they carry that. Some little lingerie stores in NYC carry that high too...it's all about the brands, some brands go higher then others. I find European ones generally go higher in cup size then american. The store I took my bra making class at has fit up to a O cup in the past. She fitted me at a H cup, but we made it nursing adjustable so it will go up to a I cup when I am full.

I want to say I used to avoid underwires like the plague, when I went into My Intimacy the fitter asked me why I wasn't wearing one...that at a F (at the time, before babies!) I needed to be wearing a underwire, well I thought they hurt! But, wonders of wonders, if you get the right band and cup size they do not hurt, and only support, and really make a bra last much longer.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  8:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Heather, If I ever make it to Kansas, I will bring my girls to you, & you can make me a big ole sexy bra to hold these ridiculous mounds!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  8:53:12 PM  Show Profile
lol Anne at Needle Nook would help you, for sure. lol haha

Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2012 :  10:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Alyce, would you please post how to correctly measure and then pick out the right size?
Pretty please?!!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  05:46:09 AM  Show Profile
You're not that big, Lisa--and if they make to fit my "gals", then they make one for you, too!!! Michelle, I say give it a shot--for $15.00 (which is what I pay for them instore), you can't go wrong if it doesn't work out (which I hope it does!). I swear, it's the most comfortable bra I've had on in years--that's why I buy so many of them at one time, in case they decide to discontinue the bugger!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  2:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Glad to help!

First of all, don't try to measure yourself. The angle of your arms will distort the band measurement. Enlist another farm girl! Also, make sure you are wearing a bra, even if it doesn't quite fit (holds them up for the cup size).

Place a tape measure with the 26" mark at the base of your cleavage. Have the other person wrap the tape around your rib cage while you let your arms hang loose at your sides. Have them round up to the nearest inch and add 4 inches to get the band size. For example, my rib cage is 32 inches around, which makes my band size 36.

Now, put the 26 back in the middle and have your friend measure around the fullest part--again, stand straight and relax your arms. The difference in measurements is how you calculate cup size.

Less than 1" = AA
1" = A
2" = B
3" = C
4" = D
5" = DD
6" = DDD
7" = DDDD or E
8" = DDDDD or F
9" = DDDDDD or G
10" = J
11" = K
12" = L

Remember, if they squish out--go up a cup!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  2:43:53 PM  Show Profile
I am not really sure where you are getting your E, F, and G, if you think about it, the way you have it you skip a lot of letters. Here's a chart, and it's the chart I've seen for years every where, scroll down the chart.

http://www.barenecessities.com/feature.aspx?pagename=fit_sizing

The main difference, is sometimes the cup is shaped differently for a E then a DD, but they are the same "size" in inches.

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  2:56:51 PM  Show Profile
*facepalm* I would be getting them from a typo. Thanks for catching that!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile
lol no problem. Totally understand, we all do it. lol ;o)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  3:08:56 PM  Show Profile
Also I am glad I found that particular chart. I kept ordering the wrong size UK bra...and now I know why! I ordered the G and it was too big, ordered the F and it was too small, and now I know why! I didn't realize that UK has a FF that is larger then a F but smaller then a G! So now I know why I kept not getting the right size in that brand! whew! lol However, all for not probably for me, cause I am really liking making my own now. lol

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic It doesn't exist!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page