Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  8:35:47 PM  Show Profile
I was keeping a daily log to share our adventures as my DH and I crossed the country this Spring. Those of you who followed it know that I got to Sacramento, CA and my job was cancelled. I have truely been a mess and not on the forum much. Thank you to all of you who e-mailed me to ask how I am. Here's the rest of the story..
We decided that we came west to see Portland, OR and Seattle, WA and so we still wanted to do that, and we did. I don't think I have seen much more beautiful than the coast of OR. The Pacific ocean is on one side of the highway and on the other side are these Huge, green, gentle mountains that fold in on themselves like pleats on a skirt. The mountains go right down into the sea. I LOVED OR. What incredible beauty.
The redwoods were amazing. We drove our car through the tree (just like the tourists we are.)Just knowing that some of these trees have been there since the time of Christ was amazing..so, so beautiful.
I think my company felt bad that my job was cancelled, even though it wasn't their fault, so they gave me a free apartment in Portland for 2 weeks and we made good use of it. We so enjoyed Portland..could easily see us living there in the summer..bikes everywhere, we found a favorite restaurant and went to the Voodoo Bakery which at 8:30 at night had 23 people in line waiting to get in and it was worth the wait!
We enjoyed the market in Seattle and then went to Mt. Rainer. We arrived the day they reopened for the season and there was 10 ft of snow out our lodge room window! The height and beauty of this mountain took my breath away. We saw 3 different types of fox that only live in that area.
We stopped at Mt. Saint Helens on the way back and sooo enjoyed that. For a girl that firmly has her feet planted at the beach, I saw a ton of mountains, and they were all different and I loved every one.
I learned ALOT about mountains. It was so interesting to see plants and birds we had never seen before.
We went back to my friends home for several more weeks. I got my Californa and Oregon nursing licenses and there were still no travel jobs. After about 2 weeks at Dianes we decided to go back east to our Florida home or to my DD in NC. I needed a job and since I didn't want to go back to my old job and we plan to move near my DD soon, I thought I'd maybe find a job there.
Driving through the Texas desert (I didn't even know Texas HAD a desert), after lots of mountains and 3 days of temps over 100 degrees, my little car died. I couldn't get above 25MPH and had to fill the radiator every 30 mins so it didn't overheat. The closest town with a rent a car ws 90 miles away so we slowly went there. We rented a van and loaded everything from my car into the van (not an easy task but done.) Paid the man, left our car and continued home to Florida. I spent a week solid looking for Dads will. We then drove a rent a car to NC. My DD works with car dealers who gave us a great deal on a used but solid SUV in my price range. We don't NEED all that car but I wanted something that could haul my glamper if I am ever lucky enough to get one.
So here's the latest news...while at my DDs home, (oh, we had SUCH a good time with my grandgirls-I miss them already) my company called and I did a phone interview and.............DH and I leave 4:45AM on Sunday to take a 13 week job in Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amazing, huh?!
I felt Gods hand on this most of the time. I have not had a job in almost 3 months and I could not have done any of this without my Dads money. I turned this all over to God when my company told me my job in OR was cancelled. I have truely tried to trust God and live in faith and He has provided BIG-TIME. So the will has been found, I have a new car and I get to live 13 weeks in Hawaii. I am profuondly grateful and know I am blessed in so many ways, and DH and I are off on another adventure. I start my new job on Thursday and I don't think this job will be much fun but it's in HAWAII and I couldn't pass it up. I have spoken to the Hawaii people and they are anxious for me to get there so I know they don't plan to cancel me. My company provides me with a furnished apartment and utilities and will cover most of what it costs me to rent a car while there.
I am grateful for all of you who followed my Westward Ho thread and e-mailed to check on me when I kinda "disappeared." I didn't have a whole story to tell but now I do. I have been so stressed, and anxious and depressed and overwhelmed since we moved to Florida 2 yrs ago when my Dad got sick. I'm better now and just want to tell you from my heart that my faith and my MJF community-my sisters-have been my lifeline this year. I am humbled and grateful to God for leading me here. Thank you. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Edited by - Joey on Jun 22 2012 9:06:24 PM

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  8:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow- what an adventure you've had! I hope your trip to Hawaii goes better than you could imagine! It's beautiful there.

God is good!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  9:05:27 PM  Show Profile
I am so, so, SO glad you made it out to Portland. My older brother and his family live there. It has been quite some time ago, but one summer my younger brother and I took a road trip out there from WI. We took the northern route out there, then swung down to California and came home up that way. You are right! Oregon's coast is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!! I found about a hundred places I wanted to live during that road trip. Every time we'd find a great place I'd say, "I want to live here!" My brother would say, "But I thought you wanted to live in Wallace, ID." (Or where ever the last place was that I fell in love with) I'd say, "Yeah, but I REALLY want to live here!!" I would love to go on another trip out there, but it will have to wait until I get a reliable car. So glad you had fun and lucky you getting to go to Hawaii!!!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  9:05:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad you got to see so much of the USA! I'd love to see the Redwoods and the Oregon coast. Hawaii sounds wonderful--balmy breezes, sandy beaches, and mist-shrouded mountain tops. I hope you see some dolphins and get a chance to hike. God's ways are better than we could plan for ourselves, aren't they? Enjoy your stay!
cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  04:35:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Joey~~ So happy to hear about your newest adventure! It sounds quite wonderful and exciting! Please send us photos of some of the great places you get to visit on your days off too. Enjoy!

Winnie#3109
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  05:04:30 AM  Show Profile
Joey, so happy for you!!! Yes, God was there with you all the way and gave you that great adventure and a new job experience on the way. I hope you have a wonderful time while in Hawaii and who knows, maybe a full time job in the works!!!! So glad to read all the adventures you had. We do have a beautiful country. Please be sure to keep in touch and let us know how things are going for you.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

craftingram
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Karin
Nashville In
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  05:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Joey, I'm so glad everything worked out so well and that you got a wonderful trip to boot. Lots of pictures please of Hawaii! Have a wonderful time while you're there.

Karin
Farmgirl Sister #2708

Romans 8: 38,39
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile
AWESOME-----Hawaii? LUCKY!!

Let us know how you are doing with your journal entries!

Keep safe...

Best,

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Joey- How wonderful to see this post from you!!!! I am so happy to hear that you are heading off on another exciting adventure! You are truly living life to the fullest. I envy you!!!! I am so excited that we will have a Hawaiian farmgirl! LOL
Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted. I am fortunate enough to have been to Hawaii twice and loved it! It will quench your thirst for both beaches and mountains and take your breath away! Kaui is known as the "garden island" and I am sure when you arrive you will see how lush and tropical and beautiful it is!
Also I see that you are on my list for the postcard swap...should I still mail your card to the FLA address I have or will you be updating with CJ?
Keep in touch!
BIG smiles and Hugs to you!
I am so happy that God has Blessed you!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  2:59:03 PM  Show Profile
That's awesome news! Enjoy your time on Kauai - it's a beautiful island!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Jun 23 2012 2:59:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  4:42:56 PM  Show Profile
We are so excited to be going to Hawaii. I told DH I want to do all the cultural stuff that we don't get on the mainland. I have updated my address to our PO box that forwards my mail. As you all know, we have been traveling so my postcards for the swap won't be my home town but rather, postcards I picked up on our travels this Spring. I am hoping to post pics soon. Aloha, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  06:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Joey!! My brother in law was stationed in Hawaii for a long time and he loved it. Another lady I work with is from Hawaii and I have heard so many fantastic stories! Watch out for road side stands for fresh fruit from the local growers! They will be much cheaper than than the grocery stores (from my friend who is a Hawaiian!) :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2012 :  08:05:41 AM  Show Profile
God does has a plan and what an amazing plan for you! I live in Olympia (about an hour south of Seattle) and love the PNW (well...except the rain!) I am so glad you were able to tour Washington and Oregon - they are truly beautiful states! Even Hawaii - what a great adventure awaits you!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2012 :  12:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Have a great time and enjoy Hawaii!!

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2012 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile
I actually teared up when I read your update-how wonderful that after everything you went through, it all worked out better than you probably thought it would! Enjoy every second of your Hawaiian adventure!!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic REALLY westward bound Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page