Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  9:07:51 PM  Show Profile
I had the chance to stop at a favorite nursery while on my vacation in Calif (a dear old freind is managing it now! What a job!) and got a few herb plants to start in my little herb garden..my special favorites were a great healthy looking rosemary and a nice munstead lavender and a nice little aloe vera. I found a neat old mustard yellow crusty "basket" made of old wood with a wrought iron handle too. And got loads of ideas for the back yard patio area I want to do this year. I want to do a metal gazebo..not a shade one really..just for a focal point..my husband thinks that is crazy and wants to build a big monstrosity with a shade cover..not what I have in mind. I think I know who will win I would like to put down brick or gravel if I can't afford the brick and have stepping stones pictured in my minds eye..I just can't wait. I want to get started on it soon.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2005 :  03:43:12 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it great to be inspired by new creative ideas, Jenny? I can picture your new patio in my mind's eye already! My SIL is going to be here this weekend and I've asked his help in carrying out some of my new ideas for planting some flowering desiduous (having a spelling block!) shrubs... think I'll let him dig the holes! haha! I've felt the creative urge big time this spring too. Share pics when it's done, eh? You might inspire me even further!

Edited by - Clare on Apr 15 2005 03:45:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2005 :  4:31:30 PM  Show Profile
ooooooo Jenny, I love munstead lavender. It is one of my favorites for fragrance and hardiness. I have several of them and harvest a nice crop of lavender off them every fall. I have several others also but this one is my all time favorite. I am trying for the third time to get my rosemary to survive the winter here. The on I got last fall in a big pot of other herbs is still alive so I think it has to be moved to a protected spot for the cold season. I left it in the pot last fall and moved the pot to next to the door of the pole building where it was out of the wind and not drowned by the rain. Maybe I have found the key.
Your gazebo sounds so wonderful. If you can't afford the bricks you can make a similated brick with concrete and a form. You add pigment to the concrete mix and it really looks like bricks after you are done especially if you sweep sand over the finished brick work to fill in the cracks like you would with real brick. My daughter did this and it was really pretty.
So Clare, what kind of bushes have you got to plant?
Hope to see pictures of both of your handiwork.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2005 :  5:31:55 PM  Show Profile
I love lavender for many reasons but especially because the moths hate it! I was packing up the really heavy winter wear and always tuck in some lavender sachets to prevent moth damage, so far so good.
A favorite garden store had something we herb lovers could all do easily and not spend $49.95!
They took a wire wreath frame packed it with sphagnum moss and soil and planted herbs around the ring. Theirs were nicely established and one was sitting in a flat pan bird bath and looked gorgeous spilling over the edges. There were three ladies lined up with them and they were just giddy to buy them! Maybe something to sell you farm stand girls! And something fun to make for the rest of us! I've seen this done with succulents before but this is more my speed!
P.S. Glad to hear your traveling travails are over for now Jenny!
Sounds like the breakdown was an extended visit blessing!
P.S.S Have a great visit with your family Clare! And just what is it you are planting "inquiring minds" want to know!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2005 :  8:54:16 PM  Show Profile
I love lavender too, doesn't do well here though Welcome home Jenny!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2005 :  7:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Hellooooo "inquiring minds sisters"!! Good to know I"m not the only one with an inquisitive streak!
Well, my son-in-law did dig the holes for me to plant my bushes today... and tonight I did get them planted. Yeah! This is in the unscreened area between my neighbor and myself..(I've spoken about it in another topic... no neighbors on this side for 4 years and now a young family with a hulking wooden swing set right out front.) Anywho... last year I planted a Rose of Sharon and an Arrowood bush. This year I've added a whole series of plants that I hope will eventually "grow up" and form a screen in "the subject area". Today I added a Scarlet Curley Corkscrew Willow (Yes, a tree, but I've always wanted one-- so what the heck!), a Japanese Rose, a Lilac, a Red Prince Weiglea, a Varigated Forsythia, and a Red Twig Dogwood and two Niko blue Hydrangeas. Four of these I purchased from the County Conservation District's spring plant sale in one gallon containers for a total of $20.81, and the others were bare root plants almost given away ($2.00 donation) at the Master Gardener's Arbor Day sale this week-( with the exception of the hydrangea's which I got on sale). The Conservation District's plants and the Master Gardener's both feature native species that are for the most part drought resistant once established. Of course, the Conversation District is encouraging plants that will help stop erosion, and some of them spread, etc... but at this point, that is just fine by me!

Just one added note. SIL found out just minutes before they departed on Friday that he was required to return to work at 7am Sunday morning (Navy)... so they drove separate vehicles over. He drove his pickup --- we made two trips to the dump to clean up about two years worth of yard waste accumulation.... that feels terrific to get out of the way. (Can't burn anymore in my neighborhood and hired hauling is costly).. Made me realize this spring just how much "stuff" I have to clean up from my spruce tree needles to my cedar tree branches and leaves... jeepers... makes me reconsider them both, but they are making a wonderful screen along the street, so don't want to just remove them.
Thanks for asking, girls. It's fun to share!

Edited by - Clare on Apr 16 2005 8:37:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  1:48:41 PM  Show Profile
Clare, Sounds like a wonderful mix that will be colorful summer and fall. We have a conservation district sale every spring of bare root starts of native plants, shrubs, trees that sell for about $10 a dozen all prepackaged and preordered for pickup on one day each spring. Next year I plan to get some red twig dogwood for along the road side of the property. Can get all sorts of evergreen starts too including enough to start a christmas tree farm if I want. Such a good deal!. I am expecting some dry days to get out and clean up some of my beds next week. it is impossible to get much done in this rain. clay soil is soooo sticky. I pull out half the soil with the weeds if I do it in the rain.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic herb plants Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page