New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic There's a whale in my river! Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  7:23:00 PM  Show Profile
Don't know if any of you heard this on the news but... there is a baby beluga whale in the Delaware River not far from my house! They think he entered from the Atlantic into the Great Delaware Bay and travelled up the Delaware River following the herring and shad that swim "upstream" this time of year. It's just amazing! He appears to be well and swimming strongly, they can live in fresh water for several weeks but need to return to salt water to protect their membranes. The marine mammal stranding center is coming to evaluate whether relocation will be needed. They are hoping he decides to head downstream on his own. This is the same river that was overflowing and flooding last week!

with a happy heart

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  05:08:59 AM  Show Profile
What exciting news! I hope the baby whale gets safely back into saltwater when he needs to. The flooding may have made it possible for him to swim in so far? I hope you get a glimpse of him!
jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  05:51:33 AM  Show Profile
I took a car load of kids for about a 1/2 hr
yesterday. It was something not to be missed! We walked along the bank and watched a very active whale who seemed to be frolicking and not in distress. It made me sad to think it seperated from it's pod and might not get back to the ocean in time but we are hopeful as of last night it had headed south a bit. It is swimming at 2-3 noughts,
which they say is strong and steady for it's age and size. Truly a once in a lifetime experience, I hope... for the whale's sake!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  08:42:51 AM  Show Profile
WE sure get varied topics on this forum! Love it! Thanks for sharing that wonder of nature Bramble! Are there wildlife experts monitoring the whale? Sure hope it makes it back safely out to sea, but for the meantime what an amazing sight to behold!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  1:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie and Jenny-- The marine mammal stranding center is monitoring his progress, and the folks from Mystic, CT ocean institute are coming tomorrow to assess his health and progress. Let's hope the inherent call of nature lures him back to where he belongs. He was making progress southward as of noon today, keep your fingers crossed!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  5:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Bramble I saw him on NBC Nightly news! The Marine Stranded guy was interviewed and said the poor thing is "confused". He is a beauty though and does seem to be strong, but I am sure everyone is holding their breath and praying " go south". That is a big river! Your in New Jersey right? My SIL is moving to Philly this summer from Dallas.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2005 :  5:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Whale update: They have identified him as ELS an adult male that is about 30 yrs old and comes from the waters of the St. Lawrence Seaway!
Quebec scientests have documented him ( he has an identifying scar)
and they think he got confused in transit and followed the fish up
into the bay and kept going instead of staying out in the Atlantic and migrating along the Atlantic coastline. When last I heard today he is travelling southward so let's hope he gets there quickly or he risks blindness and other complications due to the lack of salt water.
Yes Jenny I'm in NJ (for the time being) but hope to move back to PA
sometime after my son has finished school. I went to college in Philadelphia, do you know what community they will be moving to? Texas to Philadelphia will be huge culture shock ( and sticker shock for housing!) If I can help with any info let me know. On a good day I can be on the steps of the Phila Art Museum (think Rocky running up them!) in about 45-60 minutes. Not as quick for NYC by train but never have I ever been crazy enough to drive there! But I live far enough away from both that I am suburban bordering on rural and the city for all it's good and bad is away from my daily life.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2005 :  6:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the whale update! I guess I can say this is the first time I have included a whale in my prayers! Thanks also for the kind offer of help to my SIL. Her and her DH lived in Stamford, Conn. for a few years early in their marriage so they are used to living in the NE corridor. She is a real take charge and resourceful "farmgirl" type so I know she will do fine. Her 3 children may have some adjustment though. I loved that scene of Rocky and the steps of the Art Museum! That was one of my fav movies of the 70's.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic There's a whale in my river! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page