StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  06:32:03 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone had much luck moving echinacea (cone flowers)? If so, any tips and tricks? I have some that are naturalized in an area that I want to move elsewhere.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile
I've transplanted it with no problems. It's native to Missouri so it shouldn't be too hard to get it to grow. It has very deep roots, being a prairie plant. It grows best in full sun.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  7:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Echinacea is almost impossible to kill. It transplants well. Take a bunch of the original soil with the plant when you dig it up. Plop it in a hole of the same size, water and tamp it in. It may flop for a while, but just keep it watered and in no time you'll be up to your petunia in echinaceas! :)
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  10:08:46 PM  Show Profile
Paula, your timing is perfect... I have 4 purple cone flower plants I want to move...

Thanx for the transplant info....
:>)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  11:58:53 AM  Show Profile
I got them moved last night without a hitch. They were small, because they had been mowed over a couple of times (and were still trying to grow), and I wanted to move them to make room for a big butterfly bush I got for Sophie's memorial spot. It all looks so pretty and I have a great big flat stone to sit on right next to her resting place and can watch the other pups nose around in the yard.
All of the dogs gathered around last night while I put Sophie's little box in the ground, and my old coonhound, Beauregard stood by my side while I wiped tears. I placed a big flagstone over her spot under the butterfly bush and laid a line of sparkly calcite crystals on it that came out of the dirt while I was excavating for the new plant.
Rest in peace, pretty Sophie!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
"A meal of bread, cheese and beer constitutes the perfect food." --Queen Elizabeth I
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  12:52:46 PM  Show Profile
Paula, that sounds just lovely. Your echinancea plants will really come into their own next year. What a wonderful way to pay tribute to Sophie.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Transplanting Echinacea Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page