Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Stirrup hoe Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile
Girls, I remember MaryJane recommended this type of hoe and I realize there are many variations on it. I really want one. I'm interested in the one at Johnny's Seeds that costs a small fortune. Do you think it's worth it? I would, of course, keep it sharpened with hand files and all that, as MaryJane teaches in the Pay Dirt Farm School.

Anyone have recommendations?

Alas, I have to replace my belovéd hand cultivator from Johnny's because it seems to have sprouted legs and walked off. Grrrr! I got it on sale, too, for $39 and now it's going to cost me nearly twice that. I'm always losing stuff. Double grrrr!

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  3:38:01 PM  Show Profile
I buy mine at Lowes, they last for many years, and sharpen themselves by the back and forth motion in the dirt, I refuse to spend mega bucks on something, just for the name , when the original "Hula Hoe" is much less in cost and is just as good...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  6:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Love it wouldn't do with out it.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  7:25:48 PM  Show Profile
what is different about this hoe?
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  7:49:15 PM  Show Profile
Delicia, it is the easiest tool to use, instead of a chopping motion, you slide and rock it back and forth, it slices thru the hardest of soil and cuts/removes weeds with great ease, its only about 6 in.s wide so its great in the gardens, even the flower gardens that tend not to have "rows"...it is my most favorite garden tool ever...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  09:33:08 AM  Show Profile
I have one, (bought at the Thrift for under $5 and it is awesome!) I used it to clean up my garden yesterday... makes cutting/clearing out weeds fast & easy...

I am of the mind set that where I live,,, weeds are a part of life and unless I want to use pesticides I am better off just keeping on top of the weed removal then poisoning my soil... so my 'Hoe' comes in handy...
like Tina said, it basicly cuts off the weeds, and with the back & forth motion sometimes can pull out the roots. Then I just use a fine rake to gather up the weeds & put them in a bin to discard.
Luv my Hoe!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  8:45:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tina, I am going to get me a Hula hoe. I have a weeks worth of weeds to tend to. I'll send my hubby as soon as possible to get one. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  9:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Do you all prefer the ones that rock back and forth on hinges, or solid?
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  10:05:19 PM  Show Profile
I had one when I lived down the hill, great there but up here it's a tea spoon of dirt for every shovel full on rocks :{

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  08:21:19 AM  Show Profile
Mara, the one that has that slight rocken motion works best for me...

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  3:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tina. I just bit the bullet and ordered the 5-inch one.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  1:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Rave review here! I just tried out myt new stirrup hoe from Johnny's Seeds. It's incredible! Very, very sharp on both cutting edges -- it's like shaving weeds off just below the surface of the soil. It takes almost no effort. Why did it take me so long to find this terrific tool? Grrrr :)

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 23 2012 1:06:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Stirrup hoe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page