New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to Respond Next Topic  

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  5:10:08 PM  Show Profile
I am in my early 60's. It's one of my pet peeves when a man calls me "young lady". I was in a big box store today and one of the sales clerks said, "How are you today, young lady." I responded, "Fine, but not young anymore. I've earned every wrinkle and gray hair" and went on about my way. I'm not usually easily bothered but this phrase sends me to the zone. It's just so patronizing and condescending. Does anyone else feel this way? I'd love to hear a good response. Any ideas?

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  5:27:52 PM  Show Profile
I experience this at the hospital where I work--I'm 49, and sometimes the men who say it are younger than me. If it's someone I know, I just smile and say "I'm doing fine, old man". If it's a visitor, I just suck it up and give them the smile I save for other people's ill-behaved children. They don't really intend to be condescending. It's like a waiter/waitress who says "You guys" when taking your order.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  6:20:59 PM  Show Profile
i would smile, say fine thank you and be thrilled that at 53 someone still calls me "young lady"!!!

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  7:19:39 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Tammy, I would not be bothered at all by someone calling me a YOUNG lady, getting upset over that is just silly...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  02:58:34 AM  Show Profile
No, I get it. By saying Young Lady, they are acknowledging that they are noticing that maybe you aren't a Young Lady. It is a back handed compliment at best. Don't have a good comeback, though
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile
I personally am not offended by "young lady" and I'm 57, however we all feel differently about how we are addressed. My pet peeve is going into a restaurant alone to eat and the hostess saying "just one" or "only one" - it makes me feel like there is something wrong with being there alone. Guess we are all sensitive about something!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  06:54:30 AM  Show Profile
How he said it would've bothered me more than what he said, but I do understand... My pet peeve is when someone calls me "babe." My niece's paramour refers to me as "babe" when he speaks (He's practically half my age!), and each time I have to remind myself I'm a Christian and that she loves him. Holding my tongue and sitting on my hands is about the best I can do.

And I also really hate when a stranger - especially a waitress or waiter - calls me "honey." I am NOT their "honey!" I realize they're just trying to be nice, but I find it to be rude and a little bit condescending, especially when I (or the person to whom they are speaking) am older than they are. Drives me bonkers.

Susan, you could always respond, "Just fine today, and how are you, LITTLE man?" Isn't very nice, but that'd probably do it! LOL! Hang in there, I'm sure in his own odd little way, he's just trying to be nice. ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 21 2012 06:58:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  07:28:05 AM  Show Profile
I think alot of times they are on auto pilot and haven't really thought about how their innocent comment could be construed by others. The one phrase I hate is "honey". I just smile and call them sweetiepie in an overly sweet way. How about a response like "Yes, old enough to be your (Mother/Grandmother)so show me some respect" maybe a bit blunt but I think it gets the point across other than just ignoring the comment.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  07:35:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, you could be called a lot worse!! :-) It irks me, too, sometimes, but life is too short to get upset over that. I think it's a combo of they see people all day, a snappy line, trying to be nice, etc.

Hubby's ,who is staying with us for a little bit, calls me 'Dear'. He freakin' well knows my name but he's older and isn't going to change.

I have, breezily, said to younger men who've called me 'young lady' and such, called them 'young man' or similar. Also, in some cultures, "old man" is a sign of respect.

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  09:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah. I'm 64 (and a half!) and every now and then I get called something like that, always by a man. Such men strike me as politically conservative, brought up to think they're flattering a grown woman by treating her as if she were a little girl. I just let it roll off my back but I can't help letting it color my future dealings, if any, with that person.

I really hate the "you guys" thing in casual restaurants (it's never done in the nicer ones). Ditto "no problem" instead of "you're welcome," or "my pleasure." Oh well.

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the comments. Rosemany expressed it better than I did "think they're flattering a grown woman" but it's really false flattery. It's not really rude, it's just really odd to me. Wonder how these men would like it if I responded: To a short man: Hello there. Gee, you're really tall. Or to a chubby man: Hello there. Aren't you slim and trim today. Oh, re: erowease's comment about "honey", I had a doctor call me "sweetie" not too long ago when he was explaining prescriptions. What's with that? Surely he was taught better in medical training.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile
I kinda think this is silly... I would never be offended if someone called me young lady. I work at a drs office and call people young man and young lady from ages 1-100. Not one person has ever been upset with me. I would never want to upset someone or offend anyone. I don't get upset if someone calls me maam, or young lady or miss. I don't feel that people intend any disrespect- I know I certainly do not!
To each their own I guess!!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  12:07:36 PM  Show Profile
I had to smile over all this as I was raised in the south where you are raised or should say was raised hearing honey, sweetie, dear, young lady & young man..even if you were old enough to be at deaths door...Please know that they are not trying to insult you in any way....some people get offended being called...ma'am or even Miss when they are young or married but we that do this are not doing it to harm anyone or cause pain its a growing up thing we have learned & its actually for some of us special...it means even though we have no idea who you are we are very happy to see you & glad you are where we are on that day...I have people who think I am my husbands mother so think about that one...lol...I have learned if its said in a good light I am pleased so why get upset over it...they are just trying to be kind & don't realize I am his wife...at least i don't go somewhere & been called grandma so thats a plus in my eyes...lol...Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2012 :  8:36:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm in my early sixties also. I live in Texas where the men no matter what their age is or yours they were brought up to say honey, sweetie pie, young lady, etc. When it is said to me, I smile and say thank- you.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart

http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More
Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  05:16:10 AM  Show Profile
I am 40. If it is an older man, with gray hair, walking with a cane ,etc. I don't mind. I hate when people use too familiar phrases. Young lady, dear, honey, etc. I work at a school and have to help get students off buses. One bus driver, a rather larger black woman called me "Precious." LOL I was a little taken aback, but it worked for her so I let it slide. LOL.

http://countrygirlinchicago.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #4032
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  4:10:04 PM  Show Profile
I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude of the speaker -- and yes, of course, local custom plays an important role. I also live in the south, and I myself am guilty of the hon/honey/sweetie thing. I know the difference when someone I don't know calls me "Young Lady," or some such thing. It isn't offensive unless it's accompanied by a condescending smile, nod, and "meaningful" eye contact. Y'all know what I mean. And it's always old coots. Go figure. I guess we can only smile and consider how nice it is in life to be noticed at all ;)

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 26 2012 6:02:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Yes Mara I agree it is something to be noticed at all in a world always in such a hurry.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2012 :  5:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes Mara I agree it is something to be noticed at all in a world always in such a hurry.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How to Respond Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page