Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Wow...After 15 Years Wondering..It's a Sweet Lena!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Wow...After 15 Years Wondering..It's a Sweet Lena! Next Topic  

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  3:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters, Wow I am so excited because ever since I rescued some "wild heritage iris" from the bulldozers leveling an old ranch property hidden in the forest near my home in Colonial Heights, VA in 1997,I have wondered about the name of the iris. It was quite something back then. I appealed to my husband, Roger and we took the wheelbarrow, shovel, gloves and tick spray and dug them up. The old property was abandoned and only a fallen white picket fence and some stepping stones remained in the area of the hidden forest iris garden. I am so glad I kept listening for the sounds of the bulldozers pushing their way deeper into the forest. The next day after the rescue of nearly 100 rhizomes, the entire ranch property was leveled. I now live in Henderson, NV and still have offspring from the rescued iris garden. But in 2005 I contacted the Iris Society here and they were unable to identify it and told me to call it "Wild Iris Heritage". And Voila! I now see it at Mary Jane's and learned of its history and it is the Sweet Lena Iris. Amazing, it was also back east in Virginia several decades ago, as in 1997 I researched the old ranch property and then it was well over 50 years old. So 15 years later from the rescue I now have a name for this lovely iris. Yeah! The first photo is mine of the iris from the forest offspring in Virginia. Below that is the photo from Mary Jane's product with an interesting history of its own. I think it is a match.
Wow...so exciting!
Annie
Farmgirl Sister #3655

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  4:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Just another thought. I have offspring of the Sweet Lena Iris found in the forest in Colonial Heights, VA and the Mary Jane Farm has offspring from the grower she acquired. Wouldn't it be interesting to compare the DNA? My husband thinks no one would care..to which I replied, "Oh I think a gardener would!" at least be curious.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh that would be exciting. And keep us posted. I have some that look just like that...I wonder..??? they were on this place when we bought it 27 years ago.I will do some reserch.

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  12:02:04 AM  Show Profile
We have that Iris all over the Northwest (thus Mary Jane has it on her farm). It is beautiful...but the story of your Rescue Of The Wild Iris is even more beautiful!! I love that you did that and that you have transplanted it in different locations. YOU ARE A TRUE BLUE FARM GIRL!!!!

BLESS YOUR HEART,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 21 2012 12:03:09 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Wow...After 15 Years Wondering..It's a Sweet Lena! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page