bananachicken
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Ginny
Ohio
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  8:01:21 PM  Show Profile
So, we have these aweful green worms eating all our brocolli and brussel sprouts! Grrrr! I have read about using Ivory soap and making a spray to get rid of them. Has anyone tried this, or have any other suggestions on how to get these tiny destroyers off our veggie's? Thanks gals! :)

"I should be having tea right now."
-Lady Annalía Elisabet Catherina Tristán Llorente

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  8:31:24 PM  Show Profile
As long as I have leather gloves on those green things don't bother me. But- I think they are gross and aweful, too. I've never heard about the Ivory soap. What or how do you use it for green gross things?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  09:26:33 AM  Show Profile
I bet they are cabbage moths. I had an infestation last year that has carried over. So frustrating. Dummy me thought we had pretty white butterflies in the garden. Boy was I wrong!!!

I have been picking the eggs and worms off when I can find them. Spraying the brocolli with a mixture of molasses (1TBLS), soap (tsp) and water (1 qt). Putting DE around the plants and... praying!!! I have some cabbage I just planted and as soon as it pops up, I am going to use row covers to keep the moths from laying eggs on those plants.

Trying so hard to keep the garden organic, but sometimes it has been tempting to head to the hardware store for chemicals!!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  09:56:49 AM  Show Profile
yes, they are cabbage moth larva , and spraying them with dawn dishsoap and water was the only thing that worked for me, BUT, their eggs will winter over in the soil, so when you are putting the garden to bed for the winter, till your soil over 1 time, and put a layer of black plastic down, the sun will heat the plastic hot enough to kill the eggs, and will break the cycle...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  09:19:35 AM  Show Profile
We interplant zinnias with all our cabbage family plants (and broccoli is cabbage family). This works like a charm for us! You can find more companion planting ideas in Carrots Love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Little green worms... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page