Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Input sought-- book writing project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Input sought-- book writing project Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  10:32:12 AM  Show Profile
*blows dust off of notes*

Gals, when I was a reenactor I came across a reproduction of a victorian book called "The American Frugal Housewife". It was a book intended to teach a woman everything she needed to know to keep a frugal household including recipes, cleaning instructions, household budget advice, luxuries that were worth cutting, work to put your kids to, and even advice for raising daughters to follow in your footsteps.

It's a difficult read (this was apparently before the days of formatting and paragraphing... hundreds of pages of "wall o' text" )

But in listening to young women of my generation who had mothers that worked full time-- young homemakers today are suffering a complete disconnect from reality. They don' have the slightest idea how to run a house efficiently. I had the idea to adapt the (public domain) book for a modern reader with modern advice as an all in one "how to run a house" book.

Now, MJF forum users are a pretty grounded and frugal bunch- but d'you think this is a good idea? D'you think a young bride or mother would be interested in learning how to clean with homemade cleaners and get a crash course in cutting corners but maintaining a decent standard of living? It's a crowded genre (especially in those mother earth book catalogs) but I think if it can be arranged with good approachable material, in an attractive format with old advice updated, it could stand apart.

If you lived an urban life BH (before homesteading) what kinds of things do you wish you would have known?

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7593 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7593 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  11:37:54 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like a good idea to me, I probably find ways to do things differently than I do now...
darlene

Life begins each morning...Each morning is the open door to a new world-new vistas, new aims, new tryings.

By, Leigh Hodges
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  12:50:18 PM  Show Profile
It sounds good to me. The only thing to know for sure is to do it, see what happens. If you go with Kindle, you can share (somehow) in their profit somethingorotherthingy. Go to their website and it's all 'splained.

I have my notes for my book and am skeered, of all things, about putting it out there. That's where I'm going to publish first. I'm finally getting to the point of 'the h*ll with it, I'm doing it'. Being gutsy, for me anyway.

Also, there is Smashwords that pretty much covers all the other outlets, like B&N and such. Go to their website and it's 'splained again.

My website: http://antlersantiqueswindchimes.weebly.com

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  1:27:23 PM  Show Profile
I think its s good idea. Many skills are being lost and there is renewed interest in learning to do things like mom and grandma did
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7593 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7593 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  5:07:31 PM  Show Profile
go for it Winona at least you can say you did it.

Life begins each morning...Each morning is the open door to a new world-new vistas, new aims, new tryings.

By, Leigh Hodges
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  5:44:37 PM  Show Profile
I think it's a grand idea! Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  7:38:06 PM  Show Profile
I think it is worth it, especially with the economy the way it is. Learning how to pinch pennies and make something out of nothing is something that has been forgotten over the years. Thats what I love about MJ magazine, I learn some great information on how to live more conservatively and bring the natural/organic into the home. Being a suburban gal there are still a lot of basic things I need to learn that I wish I would have learned when I was a newlywed.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  12:38:24 PM  Show Profile
I think it's a great idea! Granted times have changed and young moms are different now.....however, I think many would welcome any help they can receive!Especially in this economy. Give it a go!

Blessings,
Linda
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  3:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Go for it Jen ;) I'll buy a copy or two or three & give them as gifts ;)

KEEP A SMILE IN YOUR HEART...
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7593 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7593 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  6:15:19 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a good idea.

By, Leigh Hodges
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Input sought-- book writing project Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page