Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Eating well and surviving summer heat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Eating well and surviving summer heat Next Topic  

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  3:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I am preparing myself for the heat of summer and ways to keep my house from getting too hot. (It stays pretty cool during the day but by the evening it starts to get closed in. We have a "no oven" rule during the heat because we don't have air conditioning.) I'm trying to set up a make-shift outdoor kitchen. I bought a turkey roaster last fall for baking (a friend and neighbor uses one in the summer) and today we got a table top "baby Q" (gas). I do use my microwave and the stove top (and have a backpacking stove) but was wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions of things I can do. I HATE the heat -- pretty much feel sick when it's very hot at all -- and would appreciate any ideas anyone can share.

Thanks! Karin

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading that if you rub yourself with aloe vera gel/juice (the natural stuff, 100% pure, none of the green stuff for after sun), it can lower your body temperature by 5 degrees!

Do you have one of those window fans that sucks the hot air out of the room while bringing in cold air? Not sure how it does it, since it's coming from outside, but it might be worth a look into.

Good luck staying cool!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  8:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Karin:
I am not familiar with the weather in Washington, does it cool off outside at night? If so, pam is right, putting a small fan in your window to suck in the night air would help a great deal. Also, during the day, close blinds and curtains that the sun is shing through, open windows after sun has passed that particular window. You could also put a bowl of ice in front of a fan or a wet cloth for it to blow through by your chair. a wet cold rag around your neck helps a great deal also. My crockpot is my friend during the summer months. If it heats up the kitchen too much, put it outside and use an extension cord. Hope some of these tips help. I am planning on using them all tomorrow, It is supposed to hit 100 here on the plains of colorado.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  8:48:54 PM  Show Profile
You can leave a watermelon out a night, if it's cool enough. The next day, you can cut it into slices and have a feast!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  9:23:10 PM  Show Profile
A crock pot plugged in outside is also nice. I now buy the ones with the lid that snaps on so it doesn't get taken off easily.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  11:20:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot about the crockpot!!! I do have one!!!

And I always keep the blinds and windows closed, at least until around 7 PM or so when I HAVE to open the blinds or I go stir crazy!!! Eastern Washington usually has dry and hot summers, so there isn't the humidity to deal with -- thankfully, as I've spent time back east!!! So it does cool down somewhat at night, although you can't usually open the windows until about 10 PM so it takes awhile to start cooling the house down and when you have to get up to go to work at 6 AM... I will have to try the aloe vera, too. My internal thermastat always runs on the warm side so even temps in the 70s are tough for me.

We put the "baby Q" together today and made some bananas with mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows wrapped in foil -- YUM!

Thanks for your suggestions ladies. They're forecasting a very HOT and dry summer here this August so I'm getting prepared...

Karin
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  7:19:30 PM  Show Profile
We eat a lot of salads in the summer - we make chili for taco salad, or cook up some chicken, or some steak strips... and we grill a lot or do stovetop things like stir-fry, tacos, etc. The crock-pot is also a great option. Sometimes it's so hot we don't feel like cooking *or* eating so we just have cold cereal. :P

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Eating well and surviving summer heat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page