Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Small Batch Silage? Next Topic  

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  06:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have heard that it is possable to make small batches of silage in heavy lawn/garden trash bags. Has anybody done this?

Since none of my property has ever been planted to yard grass (and no chemicals applied for atleast 4 years) I feel like I am wasting valuable goat feed everytime I mow. Because of fencing locations, it is not possable for them to browse all of it down live and I can only feed so much fresh cut. I would apreciate any help I could get on this matter.

Thanks, Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile
I've never done it, but it sure sounds like a great idea! I hope someone out here has some ideas...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  10:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Libbie,
Basicaly, you just seal up fresh cutting in black plastic bags and it is supose to ferment. My main question is how make it ferment instead of mold.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  12:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Right now all of the farmers are harvesting their feed corn for silage - there are huge silage trucks speeding down all of the dirt roads all day and all night long. Our whole valley becomes really dusty this time of year!

I found this set of small-scale silage making instructions: [http://www.kari.org/InfoBrochures/Silagedryseason.htm]. I can't vouch for how good they are, but they looked like they'd be accurate. It's not in a bag, but it might still work for us small-scale farmers!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  2:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Trina, I haven't read Libby's link, and I do want to. I don't have any experience in this, but remembered an article on using comfrey for fodder and looked at the instructions. Apparently it needs to be spread out to dry without getting rain on it. Then it won't rot. If you had a large black tarp to spread it on, let it dry, then put into the bags, ???? I hope you can figure this out--it sounds like a great idea.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  2:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Libby's article link is exciting! I bookmarked it. Thanks, Libby.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  08:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
That is a great link, Libby! I have the perfect place to make a pit and it removes the problem of figguring out where to store the bags! Too bad I just mowed...but I have enough time to let it grow up again before winter comes to this area. Thanks!

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  11:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm so happy that the link was helpful! I think I am going to wait until next year to try it, but I AM going to do it. I think the cows will like it! Let us know how it works - those of you who are going for it this year. I was really excited to find the information, too!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Small Batch Silage? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page