Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Brainstorm:old CDs, DvDs and Laserdiscs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Brainstorm:old CDs, DvDs and Laserdiscs Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  6:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Someone gave DH an old laserdisc player and their collection of discs, one of them is Star Wars (Ok, cool) and the rest are odd music video discs. Well, I'm unlikely to move these in an Ebay lot, so I thought, hey- maybe I can upcycle them!

So far... I'm not doing too well for ideas
A google and Etsy search only turned up a couple ideas like making Christmas decorations, painting pictures on them like those saw blade crafts, making clocks out of them, or resurfacing a table with them.

The vibe I am going for is kind of shabby chic and green... trying to walk a careful line and avoid "cheap" looking like slipping them under a candle or using them as is for coasters. (embellished versions I would be fine with though!)

I've got several old CD ROMS I could put to use, and these laserdiscs. Let me know if you've got any ideas!!

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  7:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Laserdiscs have value. Some films were released in that format only, and are much higher quality. Do some research before turning yours into something that would render their contents inaccessible. You might be surprised who will be interested. My husband and I recently purchased a DVD of a movie that is otherwise unavailable anywhere, that was made from a rare laserdisc, so there are still people out there collecting laserdiscs and players for them. You never know. What seems like junk to us might be treasure to someone else.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 14 2012 7:05:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  10:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Once you have determined that you really don't want to keep them, you can make things like house numbers, banners, baskets and lampshades with them. You just need a really sharp utility knife and a magic marker. Here are a couple of examples of things that I have made.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Brainstorm:old CDs, DvDs and Laserdiscs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page