Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Something's digging in my garden!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Something's digging in my garden! Next Topic  

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  07:36:20 AM  Show Profile
Went outside this morning to find that something has been digging in my garden... any guesses to what it might be?

Whoever it was left a few small/medium holes and mounds of dirt in several of my beds (not all). A couple of my squash plants had been displaced, but it looks like nothing was really eaten. A few of my corn and soybean plants have been chomped, but that's it. A couple of the beds have been disturbed where nothing was even planted!

I can't see any recognizable footprints, just evidence of digging.

I'm thinking it's something nocturnal since it happened overnight, but who knows. Could have been early morning too.

The holes/mounds look too small for it to be a dog or groundhog... I suppose it could be a mole, but I'm not sure. Several beds were affected, so it looks like something bigger went around a tour of the garden and decided to dig around. Would squirrels do this? We have just a few on our property - not a big area for squirrels. In fact, I've never even seen them, but hubby says he has spotted a couple.

Has something similar ever happened to you?

I don't have any pictures now since I fixed up most of the beds, but maybe I could snap one later of what I'm talking about.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com

Edited by - Lyndell on Jun 14 2012 07:39:41 AM

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  11:55:47 AM  Show Profile
Yes, squirrels are probably what is doing it. They dig up our yard and gardens,burying and digging up acorns, and also when and where I plant sunflower seeds.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2012 :  12:18:25 PM  Show Profile
It could be squirrels, young rabbits or chipmunks. I've had some luck spraying a little perfume around my raised bed when critters try getting in - it makes the place smell more "like human" for longer and deters them a bit.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2012 :  07:40:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyMommyof4

It could be squirrels, young rabbits or chipmunks. I've had some luck spraying a little perfume around my raised bed when critters try getting in - it makes the place smell more "like human" for longer and deters them a bit.

Yes, we think it's probably squirrels. We do have rabbits, but so far they have been eating clover and other weeds instead of what's in the garden (we'll see how long that lasts!). I'll try the perfume trick... I have a couple old bottles I was going to get rid of anyway! I'll see what else I can dig up (ha ha) about deterring squirrels, although I know they can be very determined!

It's funny because the property I lived at before had tons and tons of squirrels, but we never had a problem with them in the garden. I'm thinking it's because we also had a few big ol' hickory trees that produced lots of nuts to keep them busy... but who knows?

http://foxgloveandfolksongs.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2012 :  8:46:31 PM  Show Profile
Could it be a raccoon? I saw one digging in our garden last night. It was a small little fellow, but he sure dug some big holes.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Something's digging in my garden! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page