Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  5:00:41 PM  Show Profile
can you make pickles with just regular large cucumbers or only with pickling cukes? I have an abundance of the cucumbers and would love to make some bread and butter pickles if possible, but have never done it.

thanks!

Lynn

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  7:20:52 PM  Show Profile
You can..but they have alot more big seeds and arn't always as nice. I would use the smallest ones you have. They make great relish..I have been canning relish since my neighbor has given me alot of large ones from her garden. I would go ahead and try some bread and butters though, I think if you did dill pickles it would be harder than those. Good luck.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  8:11:04 PM  Show Profile
You might try cutting them into chunks where you can de-seed a bit. In my experience you CAN pickle most anything! LOL Ever see those disgusting (IMHO) pickled eggs?
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic making pickles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page