melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  2:04:21 PM  Show Profile

It's been years since I held a rummage sale-Closets are getting cleaned out as well as the basement and my oh my...the stuff!

Any good pointers for someone relatively new to the experience of holding a GOOD rummage sale?

Talk to me ladies!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  2:19:29 PM  Show Profile
keep your money on you..like a wrist apron with pockets across it- we had a sale one time and sold my daughters American Girls and someone stole over $150.00 because we had it in a cash box instead of on us.... it is easier to have tables that are a certain price instead of marking each item.... and be willing to barter and move things out!!
Have a fun time!!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  3:02:18 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Lori, keep your money on you. And- keep your house doors locked.
I'm glad you brought up this subject, I'll soon have to have a rummage sale. I look forward to what other farmgirls comment on.
Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  3:20:33 PM  Show Profile
don't let anyone use your bathroom, no matter how innocent they look, including kids, YES, keep your money on your, have at least three friends/family helping, and make sure stuff is clean, be prepared with an extension cord to show that stuff does indeed work...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  4:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Ditto to everything mentioned already and have everything marked with a price. Also try to have things up on tables as people, at least here, don't seem to like bending down to look at anything.
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  4:36:05 PM  Show Profile
I just want to agree about letting people use the bathroom. It is not a public place and you have the right not to allow use, no matter the story or person. My friend let some ladies in to use the bathroom and went to check on them and they were in the bedroom looking thru her dresser. They said, they lost there way to the door. yea right!. Keep your money on you. And put larger amounts of money in the house as you sell. And good rule, is have more than just you and your children there, get some family and friends. It is sad, but you just can't trust people. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2012 :  4:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Decorate to look as much like a store as you can. Put like items together,and put eye catching things out front where they will see them. I always sell water & soda,especially on a hot day. Great music in the background also helps.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  10:45:03 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies I am down to the home stretch! Posted the ad in our local newspaper this morning-DH is taking Friday off so we are running the sale for two days from 8:00 until 1:00 in the afternoon...

Here is a partial listing:
Quilt tops, vintage linen, enamel cupboard, handcrafted soap, soap making supplies, painted buffet, oak office chair, vintage china, vintage glassware, beginners heddle loom, and books-Lots and Lots of books! Too many items to list! Homemade cookies and COLD drinks-Everything is priced to SELL.

The house is in chaos-with flats and boxes from one end to the other loaded with stuff I didn't even remember I had. I am simply amazed at the AMOUNT I had crammed throughout the house-While I was sorting through it... I kept hearing the word "Hoarder" over and over again -

Here's hoping it doesn't rain!!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  12:04:38 PM  Show Profile
another thought, make sure you have plenty of change, way more than you thought you would need, cause people will bring larger bills, so depending on your priceing, at least $60 in ones, $40 in fives, and $40 in tens, plus nickels,dimes and quarters...have fun and stay safe...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  12:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh man... I wish I was first in line! Sounds AWESOME!!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  12:39:09 PM  Show Profile
Lori....I had a large yard sale about 5 years ago and discovered a couple the day BEFORE poking around in my garage! My next door neighbor called to let me know-Sheesh! Talk about being an "early bird!"

I'll have the whole family participating in this one plus a couple of college students (friends of DD) who will be around-I am expecting a lot especially running it two days in a row-but sometimes you just don't know what to expect. Having yard sales are EXHAUSTING!

I said to DH last night this is going to be my very last Yard sale!!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Time for a Rummage Sale! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page