Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 What are you making for Christmas presents?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic What are you making for Christmas presents? Next Topic
Page: of 3

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  5:43:54 PM  Show Profile
THank you soo much Amanda! I will try them out asap!
LauraH
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  10:00:22 PM  Show Profile
These sound wonderful! I'll be trying them out this holiday season, too - thanks!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  9:34:51 PM  Show Profile
Anne- I learned to make the boxes from my Mom! There wasn't anything she didn't think to try to make herself and she passed alot of that on to me! I still have a few of her boxes that I treasure too. Your wedding cake boxes sound beautiful, would they fit under one of those glass domes they use for dolls? That might be a nice way to display them so they won't get dusty!

Thanks for posting the recipes Amanda, I'm going to give it a try.
with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Nov 07 2006 9:43:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Okay - here's the stupid question - how do you get the cakes out of the jars??? I tried not to ask, but I just had to.....

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  8:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Ya know, Debbie, I didn't even THINK of that. How DO you get them out????

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  8:23:40 PM  Show Profile
If you use wide mouth jars and just run either a knife or thin metal spatula (like you would spread frosting with) around the inside of the jar they just slide right out and you can cut them into rounds. ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....if you want to be like my 26 year old son you just get a fork and eat it right out of the jar..heehee

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  8:53:10 PM  Show Profile
I think I'll include instructions for getting them out along with the cakes - AND a fork!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  08:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Actually they slide out pretty easily. They are not a "dry" cake. At least not the spice ones I used to make. They were very most. However, we baked them with the lids on them. (you would hear them popping as they baked! lol The first time it scared my mom to death!) I am not sure it that made a vacuum effect or what, but they were never really stuck to the edges of the jar they were just a hair away from the edge, and they wereso moist if you just put them upside down and kind of shook it would eventually come out, just like say um a can of refried beans or dog food (sorry to use that as a example, but it's all I could think of), you know you shake it till some air gets at the b ottom then shoop it all comes out in one piece.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  11:55:51 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. I am such a curious thing. I think I might try to make some.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  1:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
This is a great topic.
I am making gift baskets for all of my family and friends. In them there are crocheted wash cloths, homemade candles (made by my kids), home made pumkin bread, sachet closet hangers (the kids helped make also), sock snowmen and a few other homemade Christmas ornaments. I buy all of my childrens things...or they buy it as I just purchase them a few things and then give them a VISA gift card to purchase the rest themselves...they are teenagers. I love the jar cake idea, will make them instead of pumkin bread next year.

"May all of your farm girl dreams come true...as mine has"

http://shallowcreekfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  7:12:42 PM  Show Profile
I think I'm going to make my sister and cousin (who is also my best friend) towels out of flour sack towels. But I'm going to personalize them by painting her initial in her favorite color and then embroidering around the edges. Wish me luck! I've never actually embroidered before.
I'm also making my youth group kids little felt mice where a candy cane makes the tail.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  09:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
WOW never heard of cake in a jar...NEAT!

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  3:35:37 PM  Show Profile
I am making: Crocheted gemstone necklaces. Sterling silver/gemstone earrings and bracelets, some doll clothes, two calico elephants, a puppet show/theater and puppets and a few aprons of course!!!

I am also trying to join an afghan for Warm-Up America. I have until mid January to get that done though.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Georgann,
So nice to hear from you, and so glad that soon you can leave your job and go on to something else because I really miss you being here.
Also wanted to thankyou again for the lovely gifts, I show them to everyone who comes over to visit.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic What are you making for Christmas presents? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page