Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 What are you making for Christmas presents?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic What are you making for Christmas presents? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  2:01:25 PM  Show Profile
I have started thinking about it, though I haven't nailed anything down yet.

So far, I've pretty much decided that the women on my list may get a pair of fuzzy feet (www.knitty.com and then search the archives for the free pattern)- wonderful knitted then felted booties. I can make each pair for a cost of about $3.

For my daughters, I think I will make some doll clothes. Each one of them has a my twinn doll (not my purchase, mind you) and the clothes are pretty expensive, but the patterns aren't. I found a great doll clothing pattern site www.morrissey.com - loads of different doll size clothing patterns.

I think I'm going to frame the map of Washington state Husband Dear and I used for our anniversary trip this year, along with a picture of us in the same frame.

That's all I've got right now.

How about you?

Kim in NC

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  2:14:50 PM  Show Profile
I know for sure I plan to make a quilt for my mom with the pictures on fabric on some squares with all her kids and grandkids...double Irish chain pattern I think. (that could change..not real sure yet) and I will do hand knit cotton dish cloths for sure, pajamas for the kids, I am not sure what else yet. I am going to try to make up a knitting kit for my oldest son's girlfriend, who knits but wants to learn to make socks..with all she would need to do that.
I am still trying to decide on what to do for relatives here in town. I like the fuzzy feet idea.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  5:20:56 PM  Show Profile
mostly our family just buys for the children now .. since there are no so many of us ... sofia, of course, will probably get a dolly and some clothes hand-did by me ... i do fun 'projects' with lucas whenver i come to visit .. but for christmas .. i usually do get him cute clothes and one BIG TOY. for all the years that the cousin children were growing up ... i always 'made' gifts .. dolls and stockings and hand-made 'games' ... for the adults ... wreaths and antique books .. each year, i would choose a 'theme' and buy something alike (but different) for each relative.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  5:28:16 PM  Show Profile
I teach an each year I make some sort of ornament for all the administration and secretaries at my school. Don't yet know what this years will be but I will have some of my past ones available for sale on my website starting october 1 (www.willowtreecreek.com). Last year I made bracelets for my mom and sister and painted pictures for my grandmothers.

The guys are always the toughest. Any ideas for handmade guy gifts?

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  7:15:45 PM  Show Profile
We did marshmellow shooters one year for all the guys and kids...made with white pvc pipe (husband works at a plumbing supply store) and they were a big hit. Some looked like long pistols and some like rifles..they were sort of blow guns...what a mess they made in my family room...I had to chase all they guys out to the garage for the Christmas day marshmellow fight. They shot mini marshmellows and just enough spit got on them when they blew them that they were a little sticky..ugh!! Big hit though.
One year I made stocking caps for all the guys. That is one of those things you can't do every year..and some places you just don't need them!! I made big jars of beef jerky for all the guys one time too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  9:24:48 PM  Show Profile
I am making mittens and small crocheted animals (amigurumi), a small basket of "spa" items, some crocheted table accessories (placemats, coasters & napkin rings), a couple of quick shawls, stationery sets and custom designed checkbook covers (which I will make by taking my dad's nature photos and printing them onto cardstock, then inserting into clear checkbook covers...), plus the usual assortment of hats & scarves, baby items for the new baby, and handmade blank books. If time permits, I'll felt some quick bags for my sisters and niece. If I run out of time, I'll use some of my handmade jewelry items or print out and frame some old, old family photos.

In my family, we make gifts for all the family members and we work on it pretty much year round. I also tend to MAKE most of my gifts, so I have a huge variety of items to choose from, since I am into a ton of different crafts.

For my hubby, I am planning to do something with old family photos - maybe either make a collage or something he can hang on the wall... And I'm putting as many of his family photos as I have time to scan onto a CD, so he has a digital archives of the pictures too.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  07:50:43 AM  Show Profile
I am working on hatboxes---all shapes and sizes. I use vintage wallpaper and hopefully can match everyones house. I will fill each one with goodies particular to the recipient and that way I will also have less to wrap, since I can tie a big gorgeous bow on the hatbox with a name tag and voila! Present inside of the present!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  08:00:06 AM  Show Profile
erin .. i love the familly photo idea ... every year i think i'm going to have 'family calendars' made .. and then it gets too late. i'm hopin with my new printer .. i will master this before the holiday season!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  09:24:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Carolinagirl I found a great doll clothing pattern site www.morrissey.com - loads of different doll size clothing patterns.

Is there a trick to the morrissey site? I clicked on the link and it just takes me to a page with the address on it and I can't seem to find anything to click to enter the site.
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Sock Monkeys for my three small grandkids....I had wanted to make Rag Dolls for the two girls, but never got the pattern so I went out to Joanns' and found a doll pattern....and thats what I am doing now....with dresses ansd aprons......The little boy..I am not sure of right now.....

newheart
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  12:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Sorry... it's http://www.morrisseyagency.com/dolls/ I typed the wrong thing in. Try the new link, and if you make dolls, there's a link on that page that takes you to their cloth doll pattern page. Neat dolls.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  08:36:01 AM  Show Profile
I don't know why I clicked on this post because I can barely tie my shoes let alone sew; but my dd made a wonderful thing for me this summer that perhaps you could do for someone (a guy?) on your gift list. It's decadent, self indulgent, and a one of a kind item.

It's a carton cozy the perfect size for a pint of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Dasz. She used sock yarn so it'd have some stretch. And when you slip it on, it stays nice and keeps your fingers from freezing.

Is that luxury, or what?
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:16:37 AM  Show Profile
In our family, one gift has to be handmade. That is a tradition we decided to adopt. For Grace I am making the red riding hood doll. For Zoe I am yet unsure and for Rob I am unsure. I have to do some digging. Men are harder to figure out when it comes to handmade. I will probably make Zoe a red riding hood doll too, but with differet colors than Grace's.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Tasha- do you have a pattern for your doll? I have some links with vintage patterns... there's a red riding hood, also a Mary Poppins. Lots of other dolls as well.

Mary Ann- the ice cream cozy is a perfect idea! It would certainly give me more reason to buy those tiny ice cream cartons!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:35:59 AM  Show Profile
Kim, it is the pattern in the new MJF magazine. send the links though, I am always interested in links to free patterns....

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  12:11:45 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhh... I don't have a book store, so I haven't seen the new MJF. Maybe I can find it at the B&N tomorrow when I go to town. I'll see what I can scrounge up for free patterns.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  12:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Kim, I just typed in free rag doll patterns and clicked and got a whole list of free patterns....and instructions...I even got an outdated Simplicity doll pattern and her instructions that I printed out and when DH goes fishing Saturday....I will be cutting out dols,dolls,dolls...Oh and some one mentioned Locker Hooking of Rugs...well I was just at Walmart and just"looking" in the clearance crap and than was an $18.00 book for $7.00 and when I checked out it was only $5.00...something else to squirrel away for winter weather...good find....

newheart.................margie
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  12:45:03 PM  Show Profile
I haven't even thought about Christmas yet!! You girls have given me some great ideas! I am knitting egg cosies for my sisters and brothers (and maybe my in-laws) just for something fun. But the real gifts have just been pushed back for a bit. I need to get them done by Thanksgiving- my whole family will be here and I won't have to ship anything!!:)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  10:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Well let's see..for my husband and 2 boys, I am knitting sweaters- my first attempt and so far going well (Yay!) Last year it was hats and scarves for all 3. Decided to make fun, frilly aprons for my friends, and mom, and then decided I would do something simple and put together some of those "whatever" in a jar recipes to give with the aprons. (By whatever I mean that there are so many things to choose from, cookies, soups, breads, oatmeal, chili, etc...)I also want to attempt to make a hand creme for really dry hands, as it seems to be needed the colder it is. We'll see how that goes..Ha! I know what I want to put in it, now it's just figuring out amounts- could be disastrous! Let's hope not -.-

Erica =)
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  4:46:26 PM  Show Profile
I am making miniture quilts (18" by 18") to be displayed hanging off a shelf or on a table. I'm making one for my mother-in-law, my mom, my best friend, and maybe my aunts if I have time. I only have time to work on them during the weekends and I do everything by hand (don't even own a sewing machine) so it takes a while! But I really want to give something "from the heart" this year and quilting is something I love.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:04:26 PM  Show Profile
RAchel!! Did you make that baby quilt all by hand too??? That is wonderful!! I love hand sewing too. What a fun gift to give!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  9:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I did the baby quilt by hand. I just find it very relaxing and have such a sense of pride that every single stitch was done by me, not a machine. Call me old-fashioned!
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  3:19:49 PM  Show Profile
Erica - when you get the recipe for the hand cream, will you share? I think that's a great idea.

I am making felted purses for all of the girls in the family, if I can only quit giving them away for birthday presents first!

Boot socks for the guys...

I love the hatbox filled with goodies idea...what do you use for a base under the wallpaper?

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same--and a good border collie doesnt hurt!
Go to Top of Page

lcesnick
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lisa
Frostburg MD
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:17:57 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

For two very special little girls, I'm making fairy dolls using a simple free pattern that I found at the link below.

I'm also making a dragon for my son.

This link has a wealth of free patterns...enjoy!

http://www.clothdollconnection.com/FreePatterns.html
Go to Top of Page

JRZFarmgrl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Denise
Elkhorn Nebraska
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:31:17 AM  Show Profile
I am picking the grapefruits and meyer lemons from my trees to make an assortment of marmalades for gifts this year. Mostly for my the teachers and friends in our lives. Some for my dad (since he can't eat oranges or grapefruits anymore--I am making him meyer lemon).

For my hubbie- I make a gift certificate book filled with coupons for his favorite things--massage, guys night out, romantic dinner, pineapple upside-down cake--etc

For my kids- I will make Jenna a dress up box from items I find at goodwill (recycling is always nice) and Markus will get some wood and tools so he can start woodworking like my hubbie.

So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Demise!
I love your gift ideas! I havn't made marmalade in years..and I love it! I do lemon curd sometimes and that is always a big hit. I was thinking of making some and sending a couple jars to my second son...he adores it, and loves to dip slices of granny smith apples in it..yum!! I miss meyer lemons..when I lived in CAlif I had a tree..here not citrus.
Great ideas for the kids too!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Holidays: Previous Topic What are you making for Christmas presents? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page