Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sometimes it pays... Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  8:44:34 PM  Show Profile
...to put off mowing your yard. I thought about mowing this evening but decided to wait another day or two. I went to the store, and when I got home, a HUGE branch had fallen out of my oak tree that demolished part of the chain link fence in my backyard. So now I have to get someone to cut up the branch and I need to have my insurance agent look at it--I'm not sure if it's covered or not. I sure hope so. I'm glad it didn't fall on my roof or damage the neighbor's yard. If I'd been mowing it might have fallen on me! The tree looks healthy but it appeared the branch was starting to rot from the inside. The tree is sixty years old, which isn't that old for an oak, but maybe it's not as healthy as it looks. I've had branches fall out of my trees lots of times but never one this big.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  8:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow- I am so glad no one was hurt! What a scary thing to happen!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  8:55:32 PM  Show Profile
WOW! That's incredible, Cindy! I bet it's covered... I'm just really glad no one was hurt! I hope your tree can be saved! Keep us posted - and STAY SAFE! -Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  08:33:45 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Cindy, lucky you waited. Glad no one was hurt or injured.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Wauka Mountain Mama
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Fran
Fairburn Ga
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  10:45:22 AM  Show Profile
The tree is probably fine. The branch could have rotted out because it died off from a lighting strike, harsh winter/summer or a minor pest infection. My oak tree is about 100 years old & it loses branches here & there. Most rot & fall off in small chunks, but anything can happen. I'd see if the insurance company would cover having an arborist inspect it. They may see it as a preventive measure to prevent futher damage, cheaper than paying for someone's house if the whole thing falls. :)

Live simply. So that others may simply live.

http://waukamountainmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  4:27:13 PM  Show Profile
well, the tree guy came and now all the logs from the branch are laying in front of my house by the street. He's going to come tomorrow with the chipper. He trimmed this tree a couple years ago and says it's healthy, that the wind probably put a lot of stress on the branch over time because it wasn't surrounded by any other branches. it's the fence I'm concerned with. After he got the tree off of it, it's badly bent but Boxer can't get over it--he can't jump and I doubt if he would if he could. I'm going to get an estimate to see how much to replace it. It's embedded in concrete at the bottom so that has to be taken into consideration as well. At least no one was hurt and there was no damage to my house or anyone else' property. So that's a blessing.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Sometimes it pays... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page