True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  04:52:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

My neighbor informed me last night that they are having a terrible time with "ants" this year. She believes that they are coming from stumps they left in the ground after tearing down some trees last year (code for "carpenter ants") so she has put Terro out in the yard in the ground, and that she "just wanted me to know." She also said that her new puppy has already dug up and eaten a few of these "traps(?)" that she has set out, but he seems to be fine. I did a little research to see what Terro is, exactly, but I can't really figure out definitively whether it is pet safe or not, and whether I need to worry about it somehow "leaking" into my garden with the torrential rains we have been having. I'm a bit concerned to say the least. We live in a small city area - if we were to put our arms out our windows and give a good stretch, we could pass stuff between us!

It gets worse...

I usually just treat ants with Borax and have no problem at all, but this year when putting in our garden we did notice that there were an unusual amount of "different" ants all around our garage. As a matter of fact, my husband replaced all of the wood trim on the garage (it's constructed of cement block), and said the ants are so bad out in front of the garage that he wants to chemically treat them. Further, yesterday afternoon we noticed some steps on our wooden stairway leading to the back door felt a little unstable. Upon further investigation, my husband determined it is so badly compromised in some areas that is should be replaced. He temporarily repaired them for the next few days, but will be fully replacing it this weekend.

I'm really frustrated that our neighbors let the tree stumps go like this, but I can't control what they do. Right now my main concern is how to get rid of these miserable carpenter ants naturally/organically. We have a sweet old dog who really doesn't need to have any more health challenges, I have asthma, my son and I both have health concerns that are exacerbated by environmental chemicals, I've got a beautiful organic garden growing and am very concerned about the use of chemicals in our yard and home for many, many reasons. To boot, there is a rabbit population in our neighborhood, and there are also skunks, possums and I saw a raccoon out back on Sunday morning while heading out for church. Although seeing them go would be nice, I don't want to inadvertently poison them with pesticides. I surely don't want any sick or dying animals laying out in my back yard, if you know what I mean.

SO frustrating. Do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking Borax may not cut it this time, and I really don't want any more damage to home, garage OR our garden!

Thanks so much -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 05 2012 05:00:25 AM

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile
OH Nini-
I am sorry to hear about this "ant" problem.
I do not have any suggestions, as borax is what I have always heard of, but perhaps by googling and/or calling some exterminators and asking questions you may come up with a solution. In this age of so many people wanting to "go green" you may be surprised to find that there may be a professional company that actually CAN help you treat this ORGANICALLY.
Keep us posted- I wish you luck!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2012 :  9:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Laurie. Yeah, it's kind of a crummy situation, but I'm sure it will all work out. I am thinking about calling the County Extension tomorrow or Thursday when I get a chance and see if they have any recommendations. They are simply amazing, and always seem to have just the right solution! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  07:42:57 AM  Show Profile
I know this is totally random but we had a carpenter ant problem until we let our chickens free range... they loved eating the carpenter ants so much that they even found their nests and roosted on them... After just one summer we had hardly any. Now there are no more carpenter ants... But again they weren't in our house yet, they started coming in but the chickens ate so many of them they kept them out of the house. Best of luck!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  12:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh! That'd be so great if I were able to do that, Krystle! We live in a small city area, however, and they don't let us have chickens... I wonder, though, if it would be okay to "babysit" our friends' chickens for a day or two? Hmmmmm... There has to be a way! I just love your idea, though - thank you! I'm definitely making note of it! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Carpenter Ants - Oh Geez! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page