True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Sheri,
I hear ya (knap weed) what a scurge! we are in the midst of trying (yet again) to clear our property of weeds....and find that with 5 acres (ours) and 1000s of acres around us that are not maintained(well)...erradicating weeds is almost an impossible task,,, so hubby dearest does a once a week or every 2 weeks,,, Brush hogging around the property to keep the weeds down and from blooming & shooting out seeds... One of our neighbors is a Professor at EWU and she told us that we would have to pull every noxious weed by hand, bag them up & take to the Waste Management Plant to be processed properly... I have neither the time nor energy to hand pull 5 acres of weeds so Brush Hogging it is !lol! Speakiong of which... I need to get out to my lavender field with the weed wacker! Oh joy! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile
JoAnn,
I agree,,, in the (Newport) Park, kinda loses it's glamour... I would much rather go out to the fields where the lavender grows...
I was down in Portland OR., for 4 days,,,and while driving around I spotted several small lavender farms....
And most, tho small, were 'U-pick' farms... I love it.... I wish I could do that but the insurance for Liability would kill me.... so I pick and sell some & give the rest away to neighbors in bouquets... and what ever is left at the end of the season... I dry & use in the firepit to burn...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Katmom, If Newport was smart they would start planting lavender (lots of lavender) their park. It's low maintenance and could be stunning if done right and be a more natural setting for the Lavender Fest. I can't bear to cut the lavender on my plants--it's so beautiful coming up the hill.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  9:15:45 PM  Show Profile
I was harvesting today, too! So many more plants to go! Looking forward to trying a wand.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2012 :  9:39:06 PM  Show Profile
I've been harvesting and weaving all day today. Hopefully the rain doesn't mess with the blossoms.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  4:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Sheri and Grace, your pics are beautiful! I have a few Lavandar plants, I even turned a couple into topiaries. I recently ordered the raspberry colored Lavandar plants, but they haven't bloomed just yet, I can't wait!

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Lavender Lavender Lavender Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page