MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile
Howdy! I have never made sourdough starter in the South until now. I am making mine the MJ way. After the first 24 hours, I added flour and water as specified. The next morning, my quart jar sat in a pool of sourdough, having gotten really active. The rest of it had resettled in the jar to where it had been the night before, a few inches from the top. I am planning to set mine in a dish tonight and probably call it done after a total of 3 nights or play it by ear. It smells fresh and sour and has bubbles, but does not seem done yet.
Any thoughs?
I have not turned the AC on yet this year, obviously!

Mary LD

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  11:35:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, that's funny. I never thot that might happen. I was just thinking I'd like to start some today, so I'm glad I read this first. I live on the cool Central Oregon Coast, so mine will probably not be so active, but you never know. I think I'll put my jar in a bowl. Yours sounds like it will taste great. Let us know how it comes out when you make something. I did sourdough years and years ago, and I can't remember much about it. I want an easy way to make bread, tho. It's so expensive now.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  12:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nan,
I agree, bread has gotten so pricey! Good luck with your starter. I need to get the recipe again, but I used to make sourdough waffles. I want to try buiscuits and somewhere I have a sourdough cherry cobbler recipe.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Texas Sourdough starter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page