True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  4:11:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey all,

I found a homemeade pectin recipe online and want to give it a try as I pretty much refuse to use store bought pectin in my jams and jellies (so yes, most of them are too runny).

Do any of you make your own pectin? If so, would you be willing to share your recipe? Also, if any of you'd like the one I found online I'm more than happy to post it, but the recipe gave no amounts to add to jam/jelly recipes.

Much love!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  5:24:24 PM  Show Profile
I have not tried it yet, but it was the reasoning behind purchasing a green skinned apple tree, that way I could attempt to make it. Good luck on your and let us know how it turns out

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://featheredhattrading.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4204 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4204 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  04:26:51 AM  Show Profile
I use crab apple juice. It takes a bit longer to cook, but it does work. I have a juicing pot that I make it in, then can it up till I need it. I have not bought pectin for 10 or more years.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  11:59:42 AM  Show Profile
The recipe I have calls for green apples, too. I purchased some today to see how it turns out. How much do you all use for a standard jelly recipe?

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  2:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey all! They homemade pectin works like a charm! It is pretty much for every 2 cups of fruit you'll need one cup of pectin. It was a little on the expensive side, but as soon as the apples come in around here, I'm going to can a bunch for next year.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Make your own Pectin Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page