Page: of 2

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi all,

For anyone who would like to make their own Kefir, I periodically have live grains available that I could send to anyone who would like them. As they are living, they multiply, and I have already gotten everyone I know to start drinking Kefir and using the grains, so now I am to the point of having to throw them away.

Two reasons I don't want to do that- 1. I hate to waste, and live healthy grains aren't always the easiest to come by. 2. Oddly enough- I feel kinda bad just trashing the grains, I mean, they are living and all. Silly, I know.

I have a batch ready to send out anytime, so if anyone wants, please let me know. I will send instructions as to how to "make" the kefir and take care of the grains- it's VERY simple and inexpensive.

Kefir has great health benefits and tastes good- especially as a base for smoothies, and the kefir made from the live grains is MUCH better than storebought Kefir.

Here's a link about Kefir for more info about the benefits:
http://www.kefir.biz/benefit.htm
http://www.mercola.com/forms/kefir.htm

Erica
Oh..PS: I would send the live grains free of course!

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:07:27 PM  Show Profile
I am interested!!
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  6:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi Tracey- Happy to send you some! I'll send you enough grains to make [1] quart a day of Kefir, and if you regularly let the grains make [1] quart a day, they will multiply in no time- you can either then make more a day or simply give some grains away, or [cringe] toss them. You can contact me through my email with mailing info.
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  8:00:26 PM  Show Profile
Erica,

Thanks!! I sent you an email!!
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  9:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Erica
I'd love to get some kefir grains. I have Jordan Rubin's book , Maker's Diet, he got me interested in trying kefir. But buying it is expensive and I'd like to make my own.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  9:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi Mary,
I also have Jordan Rubin's book. In fact my husband, myself, and my oldest son all lost a chunk of weight between us by doing the 40 day plan. We have incorperated so much of his suggestions into our lives, and have been doing so for the past year- it's made a big difference in many ways. If you want to try a more "day to day" approach to his eating suggestions, check out his physicians RX- the eating plan there is more realistic and you don't have to spend so much to eat that way and stick with it.

I would be happy to send you some of the grains. I am sending out a batch to Tracey this week, and will need about another 2 weeks to have enough to send yours to you. I will ask one of my friends who also has them and see if hers are closer to needing to be separated to see if I can get some to you sooner than 2 weeks. Just contact me through email with where to send them, and I will let you know before I send them so you can watch for them, and will send the "how too" info as well. :)
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  07:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Me too please. I managed to kill the ones my friend sent.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Erica - I would also love to try growing Kefir grains, also. Not only for myself, but I would like to try the fresh grains on my cockatoo, Angel. This bird lives in the animal shelter where my husband works, and I'm always trying to find new veggies and fresh, organic food to tempt him with. He's been fed 'junk'(quick,easy packaged seed treats) by previous owners and he needs a better diet. If you'll have more in a few weeks, I'll email you my mailing address.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  09:17:05 AM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi all,
So glad to have places to send the grains as they multiply! Anyone who would like the Kefir grains as I have them (and can get them from my friend as well) please just Email me where you would like them sent, and I will let you know when I am sending them out to you!

Thanks- I MUCH prefer giving the extra away rather than having to toss them out. Maybe as yours all start to multiply, you can send some out to anyone here who wants them as well! :)

Erica
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Sorry I am clueless here what are keifer grains.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  12:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi sunshine- Just click the links in my first post and it will take you to a couple of sites that tell about Kefir. Kefir "grains" are the live culture that you put in milk to make Kefir. You can also buy powdered Kefir starter, but using the live culture or "grains" is cheaper, easier, and tastes better. The grains look a bit like cottage cheese, but not quite..not sure how else to explain..=)
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  2:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Erica, I'd love to get onto your list! Kefir is delicious and I've wondered about making it. I'll email you with my address, and will patiently wait my turn.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  9:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi again Erica
I had seen his Physicians RX book but I was so taken by Maker's Diet I didn't even look at it. Now I have to go buy another book. LOL One can never have too many good books. Thanks for the tip.
Mary
PS I can hardly wait to make my own kefir.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2006 :  9:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Erica,
How long does it take for the grains to be ready to seperate? since you are sending to me first, I can send to someone else when mine are ready, that way others on the list don't have to wait. Not trying to but in, just hoping to help since you are being so very generous!!

Tracey

Edited by - ~Tracey~ on Sep 20 2006 9:12:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  08:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Hi Tracey-
Depends on how much Kefir you make. If you are faithful to make a fresh quart a day, they seem to multiply in no time. I haven't been making it daily because I hadn't anything to do with the grains and didn't want throw them out- so I've kept mine in a semi hibernating routine. But now that I have people to send the extras too, I will be working them overtime! I would say you might have some you could send out every 2 weeks to a month. I think it would be great if you sent your extra out as well!

Also, they seem to do better on whole milk too- especially if you can use raw fresh milk. We used to use raw goat milk but the farmer we bought from no longer has any for sale, so its back to organic whole milk from the grocery. I'll be mailing yours out on Monday so there is no chance of a weekend interference with delivery from the P.O.

Erica :)
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  9:13:34 PM  Show Profile
AWESOME~~ Thanks! I have a friend with goats that will sell me some milk. I cannot find any dairy farmers (with natural practices) around here. I have tried!! Very glad to hear that the goats milk will work just fine. In fact, my friend makes her own Kefir. I just remembered that. She said she uses a rock instead of the grains. Thank you so much for sharing. I will do my best to have a quick turn around to be able to share.

Also, do you have children and if so, do they enjoy the Kefir? Mine have had the grocery store version, kind of like candy in a container. It was quite sweet and flavored strawberry. Now I am worried that the real thing might not be so appetizing. any experiences with livening up the plain taste?
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  08:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Both my boys drink it in smoothis nearly every day. I just use Kefir, frozen organic berries, a little vanilla, and a small amount of honey. They love them. I cook with Kefir alot instead of milk too. If you just add a little vanilla, it is a nice change and tastes good. I think the Kefir you make from the live grains tastes alot better than store bought, however, the one you will make will be lumpy, so if you drink it straight, you may want to send it through the blender before you try to get your kids to drink it! =)
Also, it tastes better with goats milk I think, but thats just me (and I don't like the taste of plain goats milk). You can also use coconut milk, but I haven't tried it yet. You may find you don't need to add anything, it's rather got a sweet smell and taste.

Erica =)
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4279 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4279 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  07:26:04 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading the kefir posts with interest. I purchased a cheese making kit, with some powdered (?) kefir starter. I have it going, and have renewed it like I would with yogurt. Do you think it is the same thing as using the grains? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  07:53:21 AM  Show Profile
If you still have any available I would like some as well. I managed to kill the last batch.

Thanks!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Lucy
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lucy
Des Moines Iowa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  11:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,
I'm new, so please excuse me while I learn how to go about all of this. I am interested if anyone out there is still interested in sharing some kefir grains? Would love to hear from you. Sincerely, Lucy

May the good Lord take a likin' to ya!
Go to Top of Page

Lucy
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lucy
Des Moines Iowa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  11:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Everyone. I'm a newcomer, so excuse any errors I make, please. Does anyone have any kefir grains (that were not started from commercially produced starter grains) I could buy, beg, or barrow? (I have tried to contact a couple of you but to no avail. Perhaps this computer doesn't know what I am doing yet!) (Ha!) Would surely love to have some. Thanks. Lucy

May the good Lord take a likin' to ya!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4279 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4279 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  05:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Tracey, I started making kefir smoothies. I use any kind of canned or frozen fruit I have, and add our maple syrup for a little more sweetness. Yummy, and my kids, though older love it. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  10:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I"m new here, been lurking for a few days. I think I'm ready to tackle kefir (I've been experimenting with culturing and fermenting, and I've done yogurt and sauerkraut), so please do send me some! (Do you or anyone you know have a kombucha mushroom?) My email is eponine49 at yahoo dot com- put "kefir" in the subject so I don't accidentally delete your email- I get some weird spam messages. :) Guess I should go post an intro now. :)
Go to Top of Page

tturner
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Thomas
Matthews NC
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  10:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Wednesday, 2/7/07
Dear Flowerchild -
I would love to try making Kefir from live grains, so if you have some, I would appreciate them! I'll reimburse you for postage, etc. I'll send you my address when I hear from you. Many thanks for making this generous offer!

TT
quote:
Originally posted by flowerchild

Hi all,

For anyone who would like to make their own Kefir, I periodically have live grains available that I could send to anyone who would like them. As they are living, they multiply, and I have already gotten everyone I know to start drinking Kefir and using the grains, so now I am to the point of having to throw them away.

Two reasons I don't want to do that- 1. I hate to waste, and live healthy grains aren't always the easiest to come by. 2. Oddly enough- I feel kinda bad just trashing the grains, I mean, they are living and all. Silly, I know.

I have a batch ready to send out anytime, so if anyone wants, please let me know. I will send instructions as to how to "make" the kefir and take care of the grains- it's VERY simple and inexpensive.

Kefir has great health benefits and tastes good- especially as a base for smoothies, and the kefir made from the live grains is MUCH better than storebought Kefir.

Here's a link about Kefir for more info about the benefits:
http://www.kefir.biz/benefit.htm
http://www.mercola.com/forms/kefir.htm

Erica
Oh..PS: I would send the live grains free of course!

Go to Top of Page

Gayla
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Gayla
Newnan Georgia
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  1:30:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm new and I found you guys doing a search for kefir grains. Does anyone have any to share? I'd be happy to pay for postage, etc.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

bobbietwin2
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Bobbie
Folkston GA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  7:43:12 PM  Show Profile

Hi I am new here. Found the site as I was searching for keifer grains. I am trying to raise my chickens as organic and healty as possible and it would be cheaper for me to make my own vs buying it at the store where it runs $3.80 for a qt. I also drink it and like the flavored ones. I would appreciate it VERY much if you could send me some "grains". my email is bobbietwin2@hotmail.com Thanks.

Childbirth is a natural process not a medical event!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Live Kefir Grains Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page