Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Seed Saving Question Next Topic  

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  12:07:12 PM  Show Profile
An "expert" for Bonnie Plants told me that if I plant two different tomato varieties in my garden, say a German Johnson and a Cherokee Purple, that the seeds I save from those plants will never be true German Johnson or true Cherokee Purple. He said that they become hybrids. This disturbs me. I had been told to never plant hybrids in my garden because the cross pollination would mess up my herloom/organic plants and render the seeds unuseable. And, I also know to keep GMO plants out of my garden. If what this expert is telling me is true, this means that the only way I can save vegetable seeds that are true to that particular vegetable plant is to plant only one type of plant in my garden. I don't know what to believe. I sent an email to Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, but would like to hear from my farm sisters on this subject. Thanks!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  12:36:54 PM  Show Profile
From what I've heard, and I'm no seed expert, the only way to get seeds from tomato plants and have them grow to be like their parent plants, is to grow non-hybrid tomatoes. Hybrid tomato seeds will not be like the parent plants. The plants will take after one breed or the other depending on what the parent plants were crossed with. It's like apple trees and roses. Most apple trees or rose bushes are grafted onto a root stem of another apple tree or rose bush that may not be the same breed. So, basically, you could have a Macintosh apple tree, but it might be grafted to a Wolf River stem or root system.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 28 2012 :  11:28:19 AM  Show Profile
You have to consider what kind of vege plant you're dealin with and it's habits. Tomato plants are very nearly self pollinatin. They can cross pollinate, but must be very close together or have an excessive amount of insect activity.

I space my plants so that the ones I'm savin from are at least 10 feet apart and have always had really great results. I also have a variety of roma tomato that I created that I think is better than anything else. I saved seed from a plant that was way too close to a beefsteak variety. I got a few plants that produced large, heavy, somewhat drier than normal tomatoes. I loved them and only saved seed from those plants. I now have my very own variety that isn't available everywhere else!

The only plants to really worry about are those that don't self pollinate. Such as melons and squash.

That's just my opinion. I'm no expert. Just experienced a little.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 28 2012 :  11:30:21 AM  Show Profile
By the way, you do know what an "expert" is right?

An "ex" is a has been, and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

I don't trust either one!!!!

LOL!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  6:27:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Natesgirl,

I've never heard that definition before. Love it!!!

Karen

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 31 2012 :  04:27:51 AM  Show Profile
I grow 5 different kinds of heirloom tomatoes all in the same bed. Heirlooms are open-pollinated. I save the seeds and they are true to the parent. Go to www.seedsavers.org for more information.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Seed Saving Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page