ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  6:01:19 PM  Show Profile
My mom reads these books about quilters and is a total addict . . . I wonder if I might like them too or if they are more for ladies my mom's age. I read the synopsis for The Wedding Quilt though and it seemed interesting.

Anyone read this series? What did you think?

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  6:50:22 PM  Show Profile
That is a really hard question without knowing more about you. I loved them but again I started reading them in my upper 30's. If you love quilting or any kind of needlework or into mysteries I would say try one. If you don't like it then no harm done. I would suggest starting with the first book in the series and that way if you like them they will kind of flow together.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  9:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Which series?

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  03:24:25 AM  Show Profile
you must be talking about the jennifer chiavonni ( i know i spelled that wrong!) elm creek quilters series? i enjoyed them tho there were a few that i liked more than others-- and it really does help if you start at the beginning of the series--
i liked them more for the telling of family story and also the somewhat historical aspect of the growing of America and how ppl travelled, etc....
i'm 58--not so sure that i would have liked them in my 20's!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  07:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have read some of the series of those books. Loved them! When things settle down, I plan to read all of her books again. I liked how the characters continued to the next book.
I would recommend them. Thanks for reminding me about these lovely books.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9385 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9385 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile
I really enjoy reading them. I think they do appeal to a wide range of age groups. Not knowing your preferences though it would be hard to tell you. Of course if you like to quilt then you would probably enjoy them too!

farm girl sister#43
http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  5:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Ha ha, Penny Wise, my mother (who adores them and has started buying them for her local library) is about your age . . .

So maybe I would like them better when I'm older (it happens - I didn't enjoy Pride and Prejudice until college, though I read it in high school first . . . ) - Some things just get better with the passage of time. :)

I'll add them to my goodreads for future reference.

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
---
outdooramy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  1:17:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've read all of the Elm Creek Quilters series so far. I liked some more than others. However, give me a series and I am a sucker.
I agree with Margo though. Not sure I would have liked it as much as a young woman. Was into different things then. (I'm 63)

Finished reading Pride and Prejudice a few days ago after watching the film. I haven't seen the version with Colin Firth yet. (enjoy just about anything he acts in). Also, did not know that "Bridget Jones' Diary" is a modern "Pride and Prejudice". Will have to watch that again, as Colin Firth is also in that and, I believe, is again Mr. Darcy. So, you see, again I am in the middle of another series. Oh, my!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  09:14:04 AM  Show Profile
I read "The Lost Quilter" from this series recently and really enjoyed it! It centers around pre-Civil War issues, quilting, etc. and the blend of history and quilting was really interesting to me. I would definitely recommend this book from the series-I haven't read any of the others yet, but hope to! I hear that one of the newer ones "Sonoma Rose" has historical tie ins to the twenties, which could also be interesting!

I'm in my 40's but have always loved history and sewing, so I'm pretty sure I would have liked them at your age too! They're pretty short reads, so I would say-give 'em a try and you can always take it back to the library if it's not for you!

Edited by - SpyChicken on May 25 2012 09:16:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  04:31:56 AM  Show Profile
I've read the whole series and really enjoyed them
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  5:51:26 PM  Show Profile
IK ownedalmost allthe books in the Jennifer Chiaverini serie, only the last 4 I never got. HAD to do away with them when I moved here and still am SO sorry...love them. I am 54 (still lol) and started reading the first one when I was 48..and loved it then and still do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy

http://pinkprincessinthailand.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Quilters Series Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page