Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile
In the current issue of MJF magazine, there are several gift jar recipes. I always make the recipe and try it before I give it as a gift. I am going to do the Caribbean meatloaf this comming weeking for guests.

The ingredients call for bread crumbs. I always keep bread crumbs in the freezer that I make from ends and pieces of bread or rolls. If I were to give this jar as a gift, how do I keep the bread crumbs from molding. It may be weeks or months (if ever)before the grand kids will use it. Should I tell them to keep it in the freezer or should I leave out the bread crumbs and add it to the recipe along with the ground beef, egg & milk?

Going to do the Chinese Chicken as soon as I can get some star anise. That brings up another question, what is the difference in anise and Star anise?

Thanks for your help.

Belle

Sheepless in Seattle
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Paula
Everett WA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  10:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Belle,
I think you might have to use store bought breadcumbs. I usually buy Progresso brand and they come in a canister and the keep for a long time. I'm not sure, but there may be better, more organic choices out there. But, I do think you're right in needing to seek out a different alternative than the homemade variety.
Sorry I'm no help on the star anise.

Paula
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Gift Jars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page