Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Question for jelly and soap sellers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Question for jelly and soap sellers Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  12:22:25 PM  Show Profile
Is there ever a day that is "too hot" to sell jelly/jam or soap at the Farmer's Market?

I had one customer say "OH that's such a shame it was out in the heat"
However, we moved our tables under our tent all day to keep the sun off of both the jelly and soap.

Just wondering.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  4:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...that is strange, at least in the case of soap. I don't make soap but I was at a farm event with a friend that makes soap. HEAT will not do anything to soap made with standard lye (cold process soap) and I've never heard of it doing anything to soaps in general.

I also think if you keep your jams shaded, nothing will happen there either, but you might want to do some research on this in order to answer your customers properly. I think you might have a case of a customer is being extra cautious. I'd ask them what they mean when they make those comments, then talk to them in an educated way about why their comments are misinformed. I find that lots of people have interesting "ideas" about handmade items in general that are myths, wives-tales, or out and out bad information. Good luck!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  5:44:11 PM  Show Profile
I've sold jelly and jam for years. It does tend to get a little runny in the sun, but stiffens right up in the fridge. It doesn't go 'bad' or anything. Parrafin topped jelly will weep and could potentially turn bad if left hot or gotten hot too many times, but modern canned jellies and jams don't do that.

As for soap, the oils from super-fatted soaps could weep out if they got too hot, but that doesn't effect it at all, except to feel a little slimy to the touch. The first time you wash with it all will be corrected!

I think the customer is simply misinformed or thinks all jelly is like the old parrafin capped stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you have anyone else comment that way, ask them why they feel that way. Explain that properly canned jams and jellies don't require refridgeration until after they have been opened and are stable so long as the internal temperature remains low enough to not cause the lid to push up and break the seal.

After all, commercial jellies and jams are stored in unheated and uncooled warehouses for up to 3 years before bein shipped to grocery stores and sold to the public.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  5:57:53 PM  Show Profile
I am a soap vendor and I have had more people approach my table on a warm day and say-Careful your soap is going to melt!-NOT true! Some are convinced that soap and candles are basically the same thing-Again, NOT! I've never had a bar of soap melt at a show on a hot day....

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Question for jelly and soap sellers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page