Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Baby sign language group Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  07:28:40 AM  Show Profile
I talked the library into hosting a baby sign language group. They didn't want to conduct it, but that was never my intent, just a place for parents and infants to come together to learn and practice sign language. Anything to help those terrible twos. They really liked the idea and even posted notices in the local shopper, hung signs and helped spread the word.

But now I have to get prepped and ready. So far 3 other folks are signed up and we start June 4. I'm excited and it gives me a chance to get out around others and my son an opportunity to be around other kids.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  07:40:11 AM  Show Profile
that sounds like a nice class.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  09:39:25 AM  Show Profile
My younger sister taught her kids sign language. It was really nice and they loved doin it. I bet you will have lots of fun!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 19 2012 :  4:10:38 PM  Show Profile
Good luck! That sounds interesting.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  5:22:09 PM  Show Profile
That's great! Baby sign language can be such a great way to improve communication and even build fine motor skills. It's great for the library to be able to provide a space. Perhaps it is something they can even incorporate into story times. I know several libraries that introduce one or two common signs each week. Hopefully they can add a few baby sign books to the collection too, if there is demand.

(I love your library in Montrose by the way - I used them for the survey I'm doing for my capstone project on literacy in rural libraries and the director was so kind. :D If you ever hear they need a children's librarian, let me know!)

I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

"A home is made of love and dreams"

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  06:41:54 AM  Show Profile
I've since moved and am now in Delta county, one up from Montrose. I am really impressed with the library system here. We may be small but they are willing to get whatever you want and they have the entire baby signing time and signing time videos in one of the branches and will send them over to which ever library is closest to you. It has been a great way for me to get started and I'm excited.

Now I'm prepping for the group as I need to be showing signs and have activities for the kids.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

ModernishHomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Colorado
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  11:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Ahhh, I have a hockey friend in Delta. :) I invited the library there to participate in my survey as well, though I didn't have any direct contact with the staff there.

That is really great though! Best of luck!

***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***---***
I'm just a 20-something girl making a home for me (and my dog) and waiting for the family to fill it!

---

modernishhomemaker.blogspot.com
---
outdooramy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Baby sign language group Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page