pnygrl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrianne
Chazy New York
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  2:52:35 PM  Show Profile
Please comment if you have any advice. I have an Apline Dairy goat that freshened mid March. Everything has been going really well. I weaned the babies last Friday at 8 weeks because I wasn't getting much milk. For the first couple days, her udder was crazy full and painfil but we got through it. Then on day 4, she started to partially go of her grain and had a high but still within normal range temp (103.3). She also had a little vaccine injection abcess that burst the same day. I cleaned up the abcess and cold hosed her belly to bring her temp down.I gave her probiotics and electrolytes. She was still eating hay fine and drinking some but not as much water. Just didn't really care for the grain. The second day,temp was down to 102.4 and she seemed better but still not into the grain or drinking as much water as I would like. Udder was not as full. Today, day 3, she is still not into the grain, the abcess is healing nicely,temp seems fine and all but still not drinking as much water as before this happened and looking a little thin today.....is it worth calling the vet??? She is still chowing hay and bright and alert. Not sure what's going on- have any of you had anything like this happen???

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  6:26:23 PM  Show Profile
Try offering her a bucket of warm water with either molasses in it or Kayro syrup. Separate her from the others so only she has access to the water.

When was the last time you wormed her? How is her poo looking? How many times a day are you milking her?

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Is it a different grain. I got some 4 way last winter and it was the same brand that I always use but it had froze at the store because they had it in a cold unheated building. It was sort of sticky. My horses and my goats wouldnt eat it. I thought they were sick till I figured it out.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

pnygrl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrianne
Chazy New York
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  6:16:53 PM  Show Profile
She is back to her old self again, not sure what the problem was other than weaning- that was the only change. Thanks for the replies, I was pretty worried about her!
Go to Top of Page

MiaBella
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Michelle
New Caney TX
USA
100 Posts

Posted - May 18 2012 :  05:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes it just needs to run it's course, whatever it is/was...glad to hear she is back on track!

Michelle
Farmgirl Sister #4097

MiaBella Farm
New Caney, TX
www.miabellafarm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help! sick goat???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page