Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lost a chick yesterday Next Topic  

horseygirlonafarm
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kendra
Basehor KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  06:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Send horseygirlonafarm a Yahoo! Message
I'm new to chicken keeping. My babies arrived on April 23rd, so they are 3 weeks and 4 days old. All seemed to be doing well. I check on them and spend time caring for them twice a day. Yesterday I found one of my Buff Rock females just lying there, dead. (This was one of my larger chicks, not a runt). There were no signs of struggle or encounter with any predator. The birds are in a coop, not a brooder any longer, since they outgrew it. I have them in only one 8 x 8 foot room of their coop where there is room to move about yet can get under the heat lamp if they feel the need to. Food and water was readily available, so that can't be the problem. They are vaccinated against the Coccidia and Maerk's diseases. I am worried now that some other babies are going to die on me. We got to only 80 degrees yesterday, so it can't be the temperature. There was plenty of ventilation and open "windows" for air flow. Feed wise they are on medicated which probably is not necessary since they had the coccidia vaccine. They get vitamins in their water, too. I have started giving them greens (grasses, weeds, dandelions, etc.) Are there greens I should avoid giving them?

Any advice is appreciated. I am wondering if I should call the hatchery and report the loss (I ordered from McMurray).

County livin' in Kansas City with my two kids, husband, cats, chickens, and horses :)

Shop online, anywhere, anytime at: http://kendraford.avonrepresentative.com/

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  08:01:47 AM  Show Profile
sometimes they just die, no reason...make sure that the weeds/greens are pestacide free, and cut them up to avoid them getting a blockage, start weaning them off the medicated feed so they can build immunitys on their own...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  09:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Kendra, sorry to hear about your chick. I had a chick die this year around day 3, he had a wound on his abdomen as if the egg yolk had not been completely drawn in. So sad. Other times I have lost chicks that look perfectly fine but something inside must have been the cause. It sounds as if you have done everything you can for your chicks, this guy must have had something nature did not like. Enjoy the chicks you have and know that you gave that little guy several great weeks!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  09:39:56 AM  Show Profile
its always so sad when one goes...sometimes its something inside them or genes are just not right & they go even when they seem to be fine....
the greens you are giving them is fine but put out a few small dishes of playground sand to help their gizzards strong so it can break up the greens...& yes do cut them up fine for them so they don't get gizzard bound......gizzard bound can & will kill if it gets bad :(.

as for the medicated feed you can keep them on it 6-8 weeks if you choose but if you do decide to stop it do it slowly....add regular un-medicated feed slowly...like add 1 tablespoon to each dish one day, then 2 tablespoons next day, then 3 tablespoons until you are only giving normal feed....you want their systems to be able to adjust & for the medicated feed to slowly wear out of their systems so they can slowly fight things/bateria's/germs ect.....

As for calling the hatchery, with just one passing I don't think they will do anything but they might give you credit for a future order...can give it a try :)...good luck with the rest of your babies & have fun being a chicken momma....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  11:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Awww sorry Kendra. It sounds like you are taking fabulous care of them. It just happens sometimes. I will say though that if you have red ants in your area that sometimes chicks that age swallow them and the dang things bite them from the inside and kill them. You might also check your pen for black widows or other spiders and stuff. Enjoy the rest of them.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

horseygirlonafarm
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Kendra
Basehor KS
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  8:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Send horseygirlonafarm a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the encouraging words and thoughtful advice! All seem to be ok still. I do have one with a weepy eye. Trying Terramycin on it. It's one of my Frizzles. So cute and hope she recovers from it.

County livin' in Kansas City with my two kids, husband, cats, chickens, and horses :)

Shop online, anywhere, anytime at: http://kendraford.avonrepresentative.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lost a chick yesterday Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page