Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic cutting back Next Topic  

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  05:43:34 AM  Show Profile
I went to the Dr. Yesterday and I had lost 23 pounds since last years visit. Most of that was from the grand being here and me just keeping up with him (teenager).

So now I have some questions for you ladies. As you are trying to get fit. Do you count calories, watch fats, watch sugar intake, watch carbs or any combo there of?

I have just been trying to say no to the seconds and eat smaller portions. But I might add that dh had open heart surgery in 2009 so we already eat pretty healthy.

So tell me what do ya'll do that works for you?

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  11:41:25 AM  Show Profile
For my family we try to eat high fiber and low fat. That means lots of veges, rice, beans, and fruit with lower amounts of meat, milk, butter, oil, and eggs than most families. That way you can have enough to make you full without over doin it. We also try to make all of our foods as natural as possible. We avoid chemicals and preservatives as much as can be, since a grocery store is nearly our only source of food. I get as much as we can from farmer's markets and our tiny garden spot, but that's not really much. I have no access to health food stores without a long drive, so we have a must have list that comes from a once monthly trip there.

Also, if things are made from scratch, they are healthier. It's also easier to find pure, unproccessed basics, such as flour, rice, yeast, and such, than to find unproccessed breads and noodles and tv dinners.

We can make a cake from oat and wheat flour that is actually healthy to eat and tastes amazing! It's sprinkled with floured chopped pecans on top, so they toast while it bakes, then drizzled with honey instead of icing. We also make healthier brownies and leave off the icing. Low calorie and tastes great!

It takes some work, but then the work becomes habit and you feel better for it. I have made it almost a daily challenge to find some new way to make dinner a little healthier. Usin the grill to make steaks instead of fryin them in a pan of grease. Cuttin the amount of cheese on the lasagna and addin in some cottage cheese instead of greasy sausage.

By the way, sourdough bread is a long proccess and a more difficult bread to master, but it is the kind of bread that was said to be "good for the heart" in the good book. I have found that the wheat version, which took me a lot of practice to master, doesn't taste as sharp as the white version. And you can look at your little sourdough yeast as your new pet. I do! I have to feed it and water it and check on it daily, so it's my little baby and I call mine George! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  3:47:02 PM  Show Profile
I watch my sugar intake. It seems, to me, when I eat more fruits and vegetables, I can keep the weight where it should be. However, sugar seems to put the pounds on me fast.
Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  4:01:20 PM  Show Profile
We do a low-carb lifestly at our home. We eat alot of beef, pork and chicken (and venison). All of whick has been raised and butchered by us or my family. We do lots of eggs from the chickens, veggies from the garden. I buy VERY little from the grocery store. With the exception of cheese and some dairy. I do have 25 lbs of jasmine rice available for emergancies. And will make pasta in my make occasionally. The kids get more variety of fruits and grains.

So far this year I have lost 35 lbs, Hubby has lost about 10 lbs. We feel healthier and have more energy. I have become and expert at making cauliflower taste like mashed potatoe, and zucchini tast like lasagna. hehehe

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  9:17:32 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing what each of you are doing or do as a life style.

After dh had his open heart surgery we started to watch our white stuff and also eat as low fat as possible. We get alot of our protien from plants. I have made sourdough for at least 30 years now and my starter goes by the name of Lucy......hehehe! We grow a garden and can or dry as much as possible. Also eating fresh in season when possible. We eat venison instead of beef or pork. And we do eat white meat chicken and fresh fish.

I am finding that with our diets the way they are I am having to increase my activity in order to see any pounds drop at all right now.

I love to read about how each of you handle this for your families.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  09:10:58 AM  Show Profile
I am trying to add a bit more movement to each day.

Also leaving that last bite on the plate! I am in control of the food, not the food in control of me!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  11:24:09 AM  Show Profile
I eat what I want, but it's basically healthy and I do not eat red meat. I try to eat as much organic as possible and avoid processed foods and sugary drinks. When I got up to 130 pounds -- the most I've ever weighed -- I started back doing yoga, drinking green tea, and taking Acetyl L-Carnitine capsules. It's in the amino acid family and, while it's taunted for good brain function, I read in Woman's World magazine that it helps with weight loss. It has to be taken on its own in between meals. I take one 500 mg. capsule twice daily and have been maintaining a weight of 123-125 pounds. I work really hard on our farm, so I do get lots of outdoor exercise. I never deprive myself or go hungry (I always have at least an ounce of dark chocolate every day and a glass of red wine). I would say that my only problem weight wise would be that I still have that little abdominal pooch that I'd love to get rid of. Any ideas on how to do that???

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  4:49:37 PM  Show Profile
I watch my sugar intake, and walk at least five times a week, about an hour each time.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2012 :  8:27:22 PM  Show Profile
I eat on a small plate...if I eat on a big plate, I can't finish it, no matter how "hungry" I am. I'm pretty lucky with the meds I'm on (they contradict each other - one makes you gain, one makes you lose :s), and haven't really noticed a huge change. Although I've had people tell me that I've lost weight (I don't own a scale), and I think that half of that comes from getting my tonsils out in February. After the tonsils were out, dairy, sweets & citrus taste "funny", so now I avoid them. I also try to avoid processed foods as much as I can. Not that our selection of fresh, appetizing produce is that great....but I try to make some crock pot meals so that I have something to eat when I get home from work or after a meeting.

I also ride my bike to work (technically 4 times a day, b/c I ride to work, ride home for lunch, ride back to work & then ride back home after I'm done), although it's not that far (and it seriously is uphill both ways! lol Usually against the wind at least one way - I live in a screwy town! haha). I'd like to get back into walking or riding more often, but maybe that will come in July when everything else is done lol.

Good luck with losing :).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2012 :  04:26:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls.. loved the posts and all I can say is "RIGHT ON !!"

Hubby eats mostly corn tortilla, fat-free refried beans, a little cheese on top, tuna salad with onions and apples, a roast beef sandwich, and as much fruit as he can devour in a day. I buy $10 - $12 of fruit every two or three days.. I have to grab some and hide it if I want any. What can I say. He is 71 years old and bikes 15 miles several times a week.

Other than that we are evolving to eat mainly: fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains, seeds, and limiting meats, oils, sweets. Make a great summer stew from our small garden - zucchini, peppers, potatoes, liquid is tomatoes/sauce & italian herbs

I tried to buy a "healthy" wrap at the store the other day.. 2/3 of the ingredients were unpronounceable.. I decided to go home and make whole wheat pita bread. Yummm !

LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT GEORGE AND LUCIE... I need a pet too!

Can we include some recipies on this site?

Angela.. I would love to try your oat/what/pecan/honey cake and a good recipe for the wheat-sour dough bread. I have shied away from sourdough because of the very "sour" taste of the white varieties.

LOVE TO HEAR MORE GIRLS..HOPE OTHERS JOIN IN !!

Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  8:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you who have had input here. I have really increased my moving the last few days. And I try to get my protien from plant sources as much as possible. I do eat chicken and fish but hardly any red meat.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  08:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Mary....The cake is simply a regular recipe with the white flour switched for half wheat and half oat flour. You can up the fiber by addin in wheat germ as well. We then chop the pecans very well and sprinkle them on the top. They stay better if you toss them with a little flour first. Then heat up some honey and stir in just a touch of butter. That gets poured over the top after it has cooled a little. It's super yummy!!

The wheat sour dough is made after creatin your white sour dough starter. You then begin feedin it with a mix of wheat and white flour, about half and half, for a few weeks then keep uppin the amount of wheat flour a little a day while reducin the white flour until you've fed with all wheat for a few weeks. You should be able to see and smell the difference.

Once it's been comverted it can then be used with your sourdough recipe usin all wheat flour or mixed flour, dependin on the lightness of the bread you find best. It's just that whole wheat flour spoils quicker than white, so it doesn't start very well alone. It does great as a converted starter and once converted will not spoil if it is tended like any other starter.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13628 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13628 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  09:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Activity . . . which is not a problem for me with my work, yard, gardening, etc. But I'm also a power walker and have been for decades which not only helps with weight, strength, balance and endurance, but also with every other system in my body, including reducing stress. I am also able to use the time to pray, create and resolve issues.

For me, there was nothing like menopause to throw a wrench in the works! So, that meant some changes in WHAT I eat and WHEN I eat it.
I've been called the "salad queen", so LOTS of fruits and vegetables every day. I do eat meat, (our beef is our own grass-fed, home grown) but not every day and it's usually prepared by my hubby who is an EXCELLENT cook and does it "healthy". Cheese, but it's gotta be good sharp cheddar, sometimes crunchy peanut butter, black beans, fresh eggs from my neighbor - in small portions are part of what helps keep me "stoked". I've always eaten breakfast (a nutritious one) but in the last few years find that I need to make my main meals smaller AND I need to have something mid-morning and mid-afternoon (fresh fruit or yogurt) or I go into a slump. I don't eat a lot of bread (one of the post menopausal changes) but what I do eat is the "good" stuff, whole grain. One thing that is NOT a temptation are donuts or commercially made baked goods - NOT hard, at all, for me to walk away! Ice cream is my downfall . . . so I have to just not have it in the house! We don't have a Baskin-Robbins or other ice cream parlors (except Dairy Queen which doesn't really turn my crank) so I'm not tempted that way.
Not a soda drinker and I usually get my fruit in the "solid" form rather than in juice.
Keeping active is key I think . . . for ALL of me! I tell folks my goal is to "move it so I don't lose it" . . that goes for my brain too.
Wishing you girls the best on your quests!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jun 12 2012 06:52:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  4:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Mary......I would love to see some recipes show up here. The problem is i don't cook with recipes unless it is baking, most of the time. But I do love the ideas and then I just tweek the idea and make it my own. But it sure makes it hard to share with others :(

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic cutting back Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page