Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sour Dough Starter Next Topic
Page: of 2

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  08:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Sigh.. I have given up. I went to the market and bought some yeast today. go ahead and throw rocks, I wont try to run.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Bobbi,
I don't blaim you one bit. If I didn't have a son who had trouble digesting yeast products, I would just give up too...until I got homesick and wanted some of my Papa's sourdough pancakes.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:43:21 AM  Show Profile
Bobbi, what's wrong with yeast (unless, like Trina's son, you have an allergy). It's hard to have fun when you feel defeated, and maybe that high altitude is the problem. If I can find out anything about that, I'll get back to you. We're nearly at sea level here. Maybe 50 feet above.
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  10:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Bobbi, for what it's worth, there ARE complications in high altitude. I've got two sources to quote. 1st: Time-Life BREADS--At a high altitude, dough rises faster because there is less atmospheric pressure. For yeast breads, no recipe adjustment to altitude is necessary, but keep a watchful eye on the dough: It should not be allowed to increase in volume more than the cooking instructions specify. For baking soda and baking powder breads, use a bit less leavening at high altitudes than called for. Also, at an altitude of 3,000 feet or higher, the baking temperature for bread should be increased by 25 degrees F. The extra heat is needed to set the crust faster and prevent the bread from overrising during its last surge in the oven.

from King Arthur Flour WHOLE GRAIN BAKING: again for altitudes of 3,000 feet or more... Yeast Breads (I'm skimming so as not to repeat all from the book above). Whole grain yeast breads take time to be at their best; the bran in the flour needs time to absorb the dough's moisture. At high altitudes dough rises faster, so letting it rise three times before baking will give it the chance to fully develop its flavor. Try putting the dough in the refrigerator the first two times... You may choose to use less flour, depending on the air's humidity and the look of the dough.

I know you'd said your sourdough didn't rise, which of course isn't addressed here... or in my sourdough books-- when I looked for high altitude in the index, it wasn't there. I would urge you to call the King Arthur Flour Co. and ask them why. I've called with baking questions in the past and found them really helpful. 1-800-827-6836
Best wishes,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  11:31:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh nothing is wrong with yeast, I just enjoyed letting the sourdough work it's magic on it's own.. not to mention everyone here seems to have such success in their natural endeavors that I feel like a phoney if I have to go dump extra stuff in there to make it work. After leaving my old house and living in the apartment,buying all my food instead of growing it, ordering pizza and taking the kids to dairy queen after ballet class..... I've lost a little part of my identity... and I guess I thought that if I could still make the stinkin bread the same way I wasn't a total loss.

I can do it with yeast thats not really a problem, I guess I just like to pick things apart and figure it out and fix it instead of adding extra stuff.. but the yeast wont effect the taste... and now that I know that it rises MORE at higher elevation I am totally stumped... I'll call that number and see what I can see.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  9:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the King Arthur suggestion, loved their website and products..... Should we suggest to MJ a sourdough starter kit????? jo

"friends don't let friends eat farmed salmon"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum14.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sour Dough Starter Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page