Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What's for Dinner - repeat topic- I think
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for Dinner - repeat topic- I think Next Topic  

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  5:53:01 PM  Show Profile
I looked all over for this subject, know we had a similiar thread going but couldn't get the search to work right and could not find it by just scanning through threads - anyway - what is for dinner tonight?

I was thinking about it because the weather has cooled for most of us and we start thinking about those comfort foods. Right now I have homemade maccaroni and cheese in the oven. I use provlone and a mix of white cheddar with jack. I also do the bread crumb topping. This is the only kind of mac and cheese I will eat - hate the box stuff.

What have all of you been craving lately?

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  5:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a turkey/rice casserole in the oven. It has alot of cheese and broccoli in it too. I have been craving chicken fried venison. I am for sure doing that on Thursday night. Yum!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  6:04:15 PM  Show Profile
We had homemade chicken pot pie tonight.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blog: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  6:19:54 PM  Show Profile
For dinner tonight was homemade chicken noodle soup. YUM!

lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  7:10:48 PM  Show Profile
I soothed my craving for comfort food tonite and made a shepherd's pie...one of my favorite cool weather meals.
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  8:28:31 PM  Show Profile
This is very inspiring!!!

I'm in "grad school widow" mode and I find it so difficult to fix an actual dinner when it's just me and a two year old. On my husband's class nights we have lots of pancake suppers and (I'm so ashamed to say it) macaroni and cheese FROM A BOX. I know that it's not healthy for me and not great for my daughter either. I need dinner ideas that will serve one and a half :)

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  05:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Robin,
I think eating with children is just difficult. I have four children who are good eaters, but when hubby is deployed I find it very hard to sit down to supper. It's supose to be family time and when he is missing it just doesn't seem right and I have trouble getting motivated to cook. One thing I do is make up pots of soup, stew, or beans and then I just warm it up in the oven when everybody starts getting hungry. Stuffed potatoes are wonderful and take very little hands on time so you can play with your daughter or get work done while they are cooking. Try making up a meat loaf and freezing it in quick mommy/daughter portions or just putting half of it in the freezer then eat the rest three nights in a row as old fashioned meat loaf, meat loaf sandwiches, and meat loaf delux (over mashed potatoes with gravy). Change up the sides and nobody will even notice. Hope this helps.

Supper tonight...Bake over: hamburger, potatoes, onion, cheese, corn, celery, and carrots with ww/white biscuit base.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  06:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, supper tonight? I can't decide between roast chicken, some steaks or some tuna and some of the last tomatoes from the garden. We had a freeze last week, so I raided the bushes and brought a bunch in.

Now you've gotten me thinking. It looks clear and sunny, so I think I'll do the tuna and tomatoes. It can be made ahead and then I can go run errands and take my time walking the dog and poking around in the little antique and crafty shops in town.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Last night was Taco Salads, Tonight (Wed) is Homemade pizza.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:41:17 AM  Show Profile
We had a skillet version of shepherd's pie with ground lamb, rice, corn and green beans.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Spaghetti last night--meat loaf tonight--grilled cheese & tomato soup Thurs, probably go out Fri, and it looks like some type of chicken (chicken & noodles or chicken soup or chicken & stuffing or some other chicken concoction) this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  07:54:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to get more whole grains/beans into our diet. So yesterday I cooked up spicy pinto beans and then did a stir-fry of onions, peppers, zucchini, corn; served on a bed of brown rice; topped with spicy beans and Greek yogurt. DH also had some salmon alongside. Oh, yum!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  08:34:53 AM  Show Profile
THat sounds so good Katie!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile
We are having meat loaf as well, with mashed sweet potatoes and salad. Yum. Well, I hope so. It's not my usual meat loaf recipe- it's an experimental one made with bison and onion soup mix. I hope we like it!! I'll let you know!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  5:15:30 PM  Show Profile
Trina,

Great idea about the frozen meatloaf portions!!!! Especially the Bison meatloaf idea from Karin. YUM. Know what you mean about the family feeling incomplete without Daddy. Especially when he's the only adult I have a chance to talk to all day!

Thursday night is our homemade pizza night since I bake our bread on Thursday and it's so easy to throw a batch of pizza dough in the refrigerator for a slow rise. Our toppings have been getting a little standard lately, so I'm going to try to shake it up a little this week.

Tonight I didn't even bother with dinner. I'm going to a bridal shower (got a sitter! what a splurge!) and will have nosh there. Gave daughter a sandwich made with my special high-protein challah, and the baby will eat his usual: breastmilk!

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  5:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I having ice cream for supper- It is the only thing that sounds good right now and my throat is sore with this cold! lol

However two of my favorite "cold weather" dinners to make is Beer Cheese Soup and Cabbage Burgers.

Beer Cheese Soup is really easy. We got the recipe from Anheiser-Bush. You use American cheese, ham or bacon, about half an onion, 12 oz of beer, some worshesire sauce (however you spell it), tabasco sauce (very little).

For Cabbage burgers I make my homemade bread and while it is rising I scramble hamburger, I use my food processor to to shred white cabbage, onion, carrots, celery, some times garlic, and any other similar veggies I might have on hand. Then I throw the veggies in with the scrambled hamburger and let the water start cooking out. I also drain the meat before I throw in the veggies. I season the meat filling mix to taste- usually with garlic, salt, pepper, etc. Then once the veggies are cooked and the dough is done rising the fun begins! I roll out the dough using a cereal bowl as my guide (I leave about an inch around the bowl) Then I lay the dough over the top of the bowl like a lid and spoon some of the meat filling in. I then pinch the dough up over the meat filling so it is in the shape of a roll. You have to make sure you don't have any holes as the grease and water from the filling will make the dough not stick. Then I put the roll, pinched side down, on a greased cookie sheet. I then bake it in the oven until the bread is done (golden brown). This is a traditional german dish.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  5:39:47 PM  Show Profile
My husband had a turkey burger with bacon and I had a BLT on an onion roll. I don't do hamburgers (no matter what kind of meat) unless they come from McDonalds! I know everyonr thinks I am nuts because of this.

Tommorrow night is hotdogs. We only get paid once a month and don't get paid til tomorrow so the money is about out so we are down to the cheap meals now! :) Friday night we go out to celebrate pay day though!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  09:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok, you girls made me hungry for pizza...it's going on the menu tonight. I just got in an order of MJ's Corn Salsa (in the super big bag) so maybe I'll use that instead of tomato sauce and go for a tex-mex pizza. Alee--that beer soup sounds good...I have a bottle of ale in the pantry and some cheddar cheese (I don't like American) I'll have to see how it goes.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for Dinner - repeat topic- I think Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page