forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2012 :  12:26:54 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you made this? Just finished my last batch of violet and dandelion. DH was in our backwoods looking for mushrooms. He found instead some beautiful dark pink (rose to red color) honeysuckle! Yippee! We went back out and picked a couple of quarts of flowers. So, I looked on internet for a recipe for honeysuckle jelly and found several. Guess what we are making tomorrow. (no rest for the wicked. lol)

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  06:06:25 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I have never made it, but it sounds interesting! Let us know how it goes!!
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  1:05:25 PM  Show Profile
I never knew you could make jelly out of honeysuckle!!! I totally want to try that this year if I can find some! It sure sounds amazing! I make violet and dandelion but not honeysuckle. Yum!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile
I found a recipe for this jelly on the Lehman's Country Life web site. The author used yellow honeysuckle. We have the white, pink and now discovered the deep rose colored all in our woods. Thought you might like to see a couple of pictures. I made 2 batches.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  6:28:44 PM  Show Profile
more pics..(was close to timing out) The sweet little Dottee Doll was a swap from Farmgirl Beverley. I just received her.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  7:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Judith, That jelly looks so good. Did you taste it yet? I am not sure where I can find honeysuckle around here. Let us know how it tastes. Cute Dotee doll!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  7:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Janet. Well, I think violet jelly has a very, very mild taste. I think the honeysuckle is a little sweeter (although less sugar was called for) and with the lemon juice it has a bright flavor. It is yummy! I would make again. DH likes it too. The color is the same color as the infusion. Kind of a peachy rose. The yellow honeysuckle recipe showed a honey colored jelly.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  7:37:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh Judith!

I have been wanting to make some for a long time but haven't had a source. It looks beautiful!!! I appreciate you sharing the photos. If you would be interested in swapping some jelly for handmade soap let me know :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  10:19:58 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to swap with you, Sharon. I'll e-mail you tomorrow when I am more awake. Thanks! Your soap sounds wonderful!

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness that jelly is a beautiful color!!! I hope to find honeysuckle around here and if not, I could always plant some in the yard :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

bananachicken
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Ginny
Ohio
USA
67 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  7:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What beautiful pictures! We have honeysuckle ALLLL OVER our property...mostly the pinkish red one that you showed, and a white. I didn't think you could make jelly out of it!! Growing up, I remember the yellow ones and I remember chewing on the petals and they tasted so sweet...like honey! They even smelled super sweet! But, I didn't think mine here had any smell, so I wasn't sure if it was the same. I am really glad to read this...I should try it out! :)

"I should be having tea right now."
-Lady Annalía Elisabet Catherina Tristán Llorente
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  10:24:23 PM  Show Profile
I have not seen the yellow yet. I wonder if it grows more in the eastern states...and does it grow on vines that trail?

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  04:04:16 AM  Show Profile
We have yellow here in East Tn. I've never seen the pink! Beautiful jelly. Might have to try makining some today:) Thanks for the idea.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  06:10:41 AM  Show Profile
Gorgeous pictures!! I am totally loving my violet jelly, but with I had more honeysuckle- I only have a little. I am enjoying yours with my eyes!
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  09:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, We were in Cherokee, NC last Oct. I believe that is not too far from you in Spring City. The Cherokee make baskets from honeysuckle vine. It looks like a thin trailing vine (kind of like young wild grape vines.) I wonder if those have the yellow flowers. I've never seen the yellow flowers here.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  06:46:49 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea to make baskets from the vines! It is very similar to a small grape vine. Now I'm going to have to google basket making...lol! I love to try new things:)

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - May 17 2012 :  07:53:00 AM  Show Profile
will have to try that as the honeysuckle is comming out here now. What's the link?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Honeysuckle jelly Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page