ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  8:02:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi! We live in Indiana were we get about 3-4 months for a veggie garden. But I like to bring plants in the house for a year long garden. How wonderful would be to pick lettuce and tomatoes in the winter from my kitchen table. Are there any plants that shouldn't come in? Are there that would grow better indoors?
Thanks,
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2012 :  10:13:10 PM  Show Profile
I always say I am going to do the same thing & never do. We have a greenhouse business so I have access to just about anything, just don't seem to take the time to do it. I always plan to atleast have my "salad garden"(lettuces, spinach, radish & green onions). These are what I miss the most in the winter time since I can't freeze or can these to be able to enjoy them year round. Keep us posted on your progress, maybe that will be motivation for me to do it this year too.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  06:50:35 AM  Show Profile
Last fall I potted my chives, mint, oregano and parsley and brought them in. They kind of went dormant all winter, but now the are all perked back up and ready to plant outdoors again. I guess we do not have enough sun here for growing much indoors. One good thing, I have then to put out again though.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile
I never even thought of this before. Well, of course I've grown herbs inside but never lettuce or tomatoes. I think the key would be getting enough light. If you use the same plants they would probably need to be composted to keep the soil fertile. You might have the best luck planting new seeds for the lettuce. If you plant them indoors in the fall and give them enough light they probably won't even know it's winter. :-)

Have you tried hoop gardening outdoors? I have a distant relative who lives in Indiana and extends the growing quite a bit that way.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  11:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I've had a grow light over my kitchen table 2 years now. The first winter I brought in some pepper plants,
they did pretty good, then I planted them out again last summer. This winter I have two tomato plants, a sage, and a stevia.
I had to cut back the sage in the beginning but it did fine. We had tomatoes all winter. The light was expensive, but
I took it out of my hobby/intertainment budget instead of my food budget!
Debbie

Edited by - debbies journey on Apr 26 2012 11:44:23 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic indoor garden question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page