Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Homemade Honey Ointment problem....please help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Homemade Honey Ointment problem....please help! Next Topic  

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  07:16:38 AM  Show Profile
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'll put it out there...if it needs to be switched, go ahead & switch it.

Ok, so I thought since my hands are somewhat awful due to the terrible soap at work, I'd make this natural ointment for them to use to help them along. The problem is, it's not an ointment at all - it's a liquid! I don't know if I did something wrong or if it's just the way it's supposed to be, but it's not working! Here's the recipe I used from a Reader's Digest book called Healthy Home Remedies (I think, I can't remember for sure, but it is a Reader's Digest book!):

4 tbsp grated beeswax
2 cups untoasted sesame oil (I used 1 cup sesame oil, 1/2 cup almond oil & 1/2 cup olive oil)
2/3 cup honey
1 capsule vitamin E, 400 IU (I used about 30 drops of vitamin E oil)
60 drops rose, geranium, chamomile, lavender, or bergamot essential oils in any combination
(I have yet to add the vitamin E or essential oils)

In the top of a double boiler over low heat, melt the beeswax, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sesame oil. Remove from heat & let cool slightly, then add honey. Pierce the vitamin E capsule & squeeze in the contents. Add up to 60 drops of essential oils. Pour mixture into a clean jar/jars & cover tightly. Use as needed to keep skin smooth & & hydrated.

What I did a bit differently: I added the honey to the oil while it was on the heat, since my honey was hard & I wanted it to incorporate well. And I haven't added the vitamin E or essential oils yet. Is it because of the different oils? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know. I'm really hoping it works because my hands are so dry & sore & red! Anyone have any suggestions??

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  09:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Looking at the recipe I'd say it's way too much oil, especially with the honey in there. I made lotion bars and the recipe called for equal parts olive oil, coconut oil, and beeswax. I infused the oil for a week by adding dried chamomile. The recipe called for calendula but I already had the chamomile so used that instead. Then I strained the oil, mixed in the other ingredients and heated until it was liquid. (You could add vitamin E and essential oils if you wanted.) Then I poured the mixture into silicone mini muffin cups to make small bars. I have a small round tin to carry one around in my purse but I store the rest in a plastic bag.

My daughter's skin is very sensitive to soaps. She carries around a little bottle with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap to use when she's out and about.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile
Ooohhh...the lotion bars sound nice! I may try that...except I don't have coconut oil - can I use a different oil, or no? And do you do equal parts by weight (oz) or volume (cups)?

Thanks for your help Kathy. I did think it was quite a lot of oil...but since I've never made it before, I figured the recipe would be right. I'll have to figure out a way to "fix" it.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  6:05:01 PM  Show Profile
I think you would need to use coconut oil because it's solid at room temperature, unless it's really hot out. You could maybe just leave the coconut oil out altogether.

It was equal parts by volume. I think the recipe was 1/4 cup, although I made a double batch to give as gifts.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  03:25:12 AM  Show Profile
On the website for borganics, she shows how to make a lotion. just look on the web for her site.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
when i make my lotion i put it in the kitchen aid. i whip it in to a fluff with the wire beater. it turns out light and fluffy.hope this helps

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Homemade Honey Ointment problem....please help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page