iamacountrygirl
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kathy
Ohio
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  8:15:25 PM  Show Profile
I was sitting outside tonight, and a Kildear (not sure of spelling - they're birds with long legs) came down the driveway, and lay down in about 3 different spots in the grass, spread her wings, chirping. I know they pretend to be wounded to draw preditors away from a nest, anyway, then it left. Came back, with a friend. They walked around, looked at us, left again. Came back with 4 little chicks, soooo cute, about 2 or 3 inches tall, and they walked down the driveway with the little ones following. Too cute!

Then we ran to the local little grocery, and on the way home saw about a dozen deer in the field down the road from my house. I thought the neighbors had scared them away what with the 4 wheelers and guns, but there they were one road over.

Cool night!

Just wanted to share.

Kathy
www.madebyacountrygirl.etsy.com (fledgling shop)

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  06:26:41 AM  Show Profile
ah the signs of spring. i love all the new life coming on. hope you have an awesome day sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  07:54:46 AM  Show Profile
That's pretty special to have the Kildeer parents allow their chicks to come so close! I've seen plenty of the pretend wounded birds but never any chicks! Treasure that memory.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  08:25:47 AM  Show Profile
I've seen those little birds; pretending to be hurt and making a lot of noise to keep others away. Cute!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  08:57:17 AM  Show Profile
A few weeks ago, my husband was walking toward the barn and stopped fast. A female bobcat was with her three babies .Terry said they were so cute.They took off when they saw my hubby. All but one , just stood there for few seconds and took off . I've seen bobcats before, but never babies. Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  04:25:44 AM  Show Profile
That is awesome that you were able to see the Kildeer with their chicks. :) My son is obsessed with Kildeer and he would have loved to see that!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic baby Kildears Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: