Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile
We are getting 6 chicks in a few weeks. We have most of what we need. But... I remembered my parents always keeping them in a large cardboard box with a red light. But, I just read that you shouldn't use cardboard. What have you folks used as a brooder until they are big enough to be moved to the chicken coop?

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  7:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I use a guinea pig cage with a red lite on top of it, or you can use a rubbermade tub

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  8:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Oops! Mine are in a cardboard box with a red light in it! I read cardboard was OK since they were only going to be in it for a couple of weeks. They are pine shaving for flooring. Why isn't cardboard good (not that I will change them at this late stage).

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  09:48:10 AM  Show Profile
We've used cardboard, rubbermaid boxes and milk crates with a cardboard bottom with the red light; not had any problems with the chicks we've kept like that. We also now have an official brooder cage built just for chicks --one part is completely closed in with a door that opens to the wire floor part. We put sand in the closed off part, works very well.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/

Edited by - rksmith on Apr 15 2012 09:48:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bornagainfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jenn
MT
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  11:41:09 AM  Show Profile
I have used the biggest rubbermaid storage box I can find -50 gallon.... Then I can wash it out really well and use it to store stuff in the garage so the mice will not get in (if there are any, but who wants to take chances!). I have just recently been reading about these Brinsea brooder heater thinga-ama-gigs, and find them very interesting. Very low energy use.... I may try one next year, since the energy bill goes up markedly at brooding time. Other than that, I just use pine shavings in the bottom of the brooder and that is about the gist of it!

Raised on a farm, and getting back to it!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  12:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Pine shavings in the largest rubbermaid bin I can accommodate :D
I have a 40 gallon bin I bought this spring and I have brooded each time 10 goslings +3 ducklings, 10 turkey poults, 11 ducklings, 3 chickens + 6 poults.
It cleans up like a champ each time and stays useful past brooder season.

The dirty pine shaving bedding makes nice garden mulch too!

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  12:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I think we will end up going with either the rubbermaid or the carboard box. I think the book said the cardboard was a fire hazard and could get wet and soggy. I guess if you are careful it wouldn't really matter.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Bornagainfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Jenn
MT
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  2:09:36 PM  Show Profile

Had to share a few chick pics, just because they are so fun! (Orpingtons, and Delewares)
Another thing I do is put repurposed baby gates on top of my ' rubbermaid brooder' so when the girls start to get 'flighty' they cannot get out!

Raised on a farm, and getting back to it!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  3:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Cute pics!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  11:09:01 AM  Show Profile
The only problem that I can think of with the cardboard box is that one does have to be careful that the bulb somehow doesn't end up touching the sides and starting a fire. With a small number like that one could use an extra bathtub. I have a small fiberglass bathtub that I use at first and then transfer them to a regular brooder that a friend gave me a couple of years ago. I love it!
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Brooder for new chicks? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page