Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need info on meat goats Next Topic  

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
A friend is looking for information on raising meat goats. This will be a new adventure for her so I need to get the basics. She is in central IL and she will also be looking to buy goats this year. I've raised fiber goats so I am not much help to her.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never change the person you are
Only what you put yourself around
And that will set you free
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not."-Montgomery Gentry

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:56:58 PM  Show Profile
I have meat goats. The one complaint that I have about the industry is that so few producers test their herds for CAE, CL and Johnes Disease. You really can't get reliable test results until the animal is about 10 months old, and that is around the time that the product usually goes to market, so a lot of producers opt out of testing. It is my opinion that at least all breeding stock should be tested. As for the goats themselves, I have Boers, and they are really friendly, personable goats and I like them a lot. I have had ZERO problems getting all mine sold whenever I have wanted to. I have started this year to upgrade my bloodlines a bit to sell to the FFA and 4-H market, rather than just breeding market wethers. I also like that there are so many options to show the Boers. You can really get involved in showing if you want to. It seems like there are a lot more events planned, and the registries are a lot more active than in some of the breeds. The meat is also very tasty.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  12:16:25 PM  Show Profile
What does Capron taste like, anyway? I've been sort of wondering.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

mydakota
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

kristi
redmond oregon
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2012 :  8:16:29 PM  Show Profile
I have heard it called chevon and cabrito. It is very good. It is a dark red meat similar in appearance to beef. It is very nutritionally similar to skinless chicken breast. It is low calorie, low fat and low cholesterol. We have eaten both Boer and dairy wethers. In my opinion, there really is a flavor difference and the Boer is better. It was very similar in taste to beef actually. Not wild tasting at all. You do really have to slow-cook it though, as there is not much fat.

HearthCricket Farm. Where the door is always open, and the coffee is always on.
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  05:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info, I've passed it on. Any other input would be appreciated.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement or DeCamp CSA Farm on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's better to be hated for who you are, then be loved for who you are not."-Montgomery Gentry
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need info on meat goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page