forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  4:07:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty excited, Farmgirls! We are still on the Reading Room, and now have our own discussions and recommendations regarding our favorite movies, documentaries, PBS series, Specials, TV shows, etc. We've had so many great Farmgirl contributions on these topics (think Downton Abbey, for example). We could just keep on rolling like the Virtual Porch does on A Farm of My Own Forum. What do you think, ladies? We can start right on this post or one of you can start a different one with your first post to it. Anyway I see it the show will go on! (Thanks, Gabe!)

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  6:40:11 PM  Show Profile
One of my most favorite TV shows was Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. And- Sully wasn't too bad to look at! I loved the show. She was the first woman Dr. and she didn't let anyone stop her from practicing medicine. I still watch the series. Anyone else like Dr. Quinn?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  06:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Dr. Quinn is now on Inspiration Network if you want to catch it! I love that show too-so romantic between Michaela and Sully (my dd STILL has a crush on him!).
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  08:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Christine. I watch Dr. Quinn on the Inspiration Network when ever it's on.
I still love that show.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  08:08:35 AM  Show Profile
That's funny. I don't get to see it very often; but, definitely watch it if I change a channel and its on. (Of course, the man in charge of the remote would flip right by it) Yeah, its that darn Sully. Wonder what he looks like now? (sigh)

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  09:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Judith, "Joe Lando" is now on a series called the "Secret Circle", and he does not hurt the eye...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sue. Never heard of the Secret Circle". I'll have to check it out.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  7:03:05 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to toss out a movie or two--has anyone seen "Whale Rider"? I also like old French movies like "The Two of Us". As for documentaries, I have DVD of "Winged Migration" and it is awesome. I'm wanting to get the DVD of "War Horse".
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  09:13:01 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely loved "Whale Rider"! I was home alone when it came on..wanted so to share it with gkids..but, no one around that day..I watched the entire thing though..which is hard for me to do.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  9:49:09 PM  Show Profile
My DH has decided and I heartily agree that our boys watch too much other "stuff" on the TV so we have started renting or taking out of the library more of the classical movies. Yesterday we watched Great Expectations and tonight was Murder on the Orient Express which my youngest just read in school. We have others here to watch to that are more vintage. We had some great discussions after watching The Last King of Scottland, all about Africa, leaders being good to their country and the military gone awry. We have waiting some new ones too like Iron Lady amd Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  3:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Good idea! I'm a huge Jane Austen fan so on any given day, you can find me enjoying one of the many film adaptations. I realized just how much Jane Austen I was watching when my 6 year old son walked into the room, looked at the tv for a minute and asked "Where's Wickham?"

Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  3:39:10 PM  Show Profile
BTW, Judy...what did you think of "Great Expectations?"
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  4:12:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SpyChicken

Good idea! I'm a huge Jane Austen fan so on any given day, you can find me enjoying one of the many film adaptations. I realized just how much Jane Austen I was watching when my 6 year old son walked into the room, looked at the tv for a minute and asked "Where's Wickham?"

OMGoodness how funny. I'm another JA fan and will watch P&P at least once a month.

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile
I do too, Missy! I know it's crazy but it never gets old...at least for me!
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  3:22:15 PM  Show Profile
any Cary Grant fans out there? I love the movies of the 40's and 50's and so have a crush on Cary. So handsome and suave
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  3:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh I LOVE Cary Grant!!! Patricia have you seen Talk of the Town? It stars Cary along with Ronald Colman and Jean Arthur (she is so funny). I would have to say it is my favorite Cary movie.

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  4:05:27 PM  Show Profile
I like Cary Crant, also. I really loved Doris Day. The movie, "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" was on a few days ago. I always laugh when I see the movie.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  5:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Marly,
Our WalMart had a dvd with 4 Doris Day movies for about $14.00 including Please Don't Eat the Daisies. I also enjoy Doris Day and a couple of my are Moonlight Bay and By The Light of the Silvery Moon.

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  5:22:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sharon. I like those movies you mentioned, also.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  7:04:30 PM  Show Profile
I think the only Cary Grant movie I've ever seen is The Bishop's Wife, where he plays an angel who comes to help an Anglican minister. Trouble ensues when the bishop's wife falls for him. But all ends well.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  10:45:33 PM  Show Profile
LOVE Cary Grant!! One of my favorites is Alfred Hitchcock's "Notorious" with Ingrid Bergman! I love classic film in general...I was just watching "The House of the Seven Gables" with Vincent Price...any Bette Davis fans out there?
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Sharon, I have not seen that one I love Touch of Mink and have Houseboat and Charade here to watch next
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  4:24:21 PM  Show Profile
the Bishops wife is a great movie.. anyone seen The Pajama Game with Doris Day ? I have that one too
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2012 :  08:34:59 AM  Show Profile
I love the old movies with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. I can't recall the name of this one movie, where they are both lawyers and each goes to court against each other. That one is a hoot!
Marly

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  06:03:15 AM  Show Profile
I love to watch the old movies. I love Cary Grant, Doris Day and especially the musicals of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. My favorite actor is James Cagney and that Jean Arthur was one of my favorite actresses.

Nancy

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  06:27:38 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I LOVED Jean Arthur in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" how about you?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Film Buffs Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page