Page: of 3

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  4:00:44 PM  Show Profile
I love the old movies. One of my most favorite old movies is "Life With Father", staring Irene Dunn and William Powell and a very young Elizabeth Taylor. The movie makes me laugh so hard and so loud. Has anyone else seen this movie? It was made in 1947. My favorite part of the movie is when Irene Dunn tries to explain money matters and how she saves money to her banker husband.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2012 :  9:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, Marly, that is a favorite in our house! Even my husband likes that one-the chemistry between Irene Dunn and William Powell is priceless!! We also love "Cheaper by the Dozen" with Clifton Webb...if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it! Oh, now I have to go to amazon.com to see if I can order a couple of classic films!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  05:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Christine, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was on just yesterday and I watched it for the upteenth time. I think she is so wonderful and her voice just makes me smile. Did you see the one where she rents the half of her apartment to Charles Coburn and then he sublets it? I can't remember the name of it but it is so funny. ]

William Powell is one actor I forgot to include as a favorite. If he is in a movie I will watch him. Did anyone see My Man Godfrey?

Nancy #2301
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Christine, "Cheaper by the Dozen" is another good one. I love the older comedy films.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  08:58:14 AM  Show Profile
DH is off to races this weekend with guy friends and won't be home until around midnight. Miss him but I am excited to have control of the remote tonight. I will watch anything on out PBS station I want. So excited!
Yippee skippee!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  05:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey Judith, good for you! I love it when I have the control of the remote. I do like most of the things my DH watches except for the military station. But it is fun to just have it to myself because he has this itchy finger sometimes and just keeps changing stations. Something about men and the remote....many seem to like pushing those buttons. giggle!

Hugs,

Nancy #2301
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  06:35:08 AM  Show Profile
My dh works nights three nights a week...that's when I go through MY movie stash and pull out all my classic/costume drama movies and enjoy! Did anyone see the new adaptation of BBC's "Great Expectations" that just aired on PBS??
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  07:15:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh, no! Did I miss it? I have been watching the commercials for it..and waiting. I've found our small town library really doesn't have much to offer in the way of boxed sets. Amazon.com is still pretty expensive for used. I would like a set of Emily Bronte's stories, Charles Dickens, and of course the costume dramas. Sigh.

I did see an old Bette Davis movie the other night when I had the remote. I love her. Reminds me of my mom.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Apr 24 2012 07:16:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2012 :  10:15:18 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE old films too!

Nancy, 'The More the Merrier' is so funny! I think that you would really enjoy Talk of the Town. I love Jean Arthur's character in that movie.

We recently watched 'The Bride Came COD" with James Cagney and Bette Davis, another good one!

Does anyone like The Thin Man" with William Powell and Myrna Loy? We saved up to buy the set and they are always entertaining :)

Marly. Adam's Rib :)

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Apr 24 2012 10:15:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2012 :  09:01:59 AM  Show Profile
My hubby and I try to watch, at least, one episode of "Frasier" nightly. We call the show our therapy! Does anyone else watch the show? And- I absolutely love Eddie the dog.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  06:14:28 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, William Powell is one of my favorites and I love the "Thin Man" films. It must be fun being able to watch one of the movies whenever you want to. Makes me smile just thinking of him standing there with that drink in his hand.

I like watching the old Frank Capra movies with Lionel Barrymore and a character actor named Donald Meek. Franklyn Pangbore in another character actor that is really funny. He ususally plays a butler, business owner or hotel manager. You will recognize his face if you want to put his name in the computer.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  06:54:38 AM  Show Profile
watched another favorite of mine on Weds, The horse Soldiers with good ole John Wayne
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  06:34:14 AM  Show Profile
Judith, I'm sorry you missed "Great Expectations"-it aired a couple of weeks ago BUT the good news is you can probably catch it on youtube.com. It will be pretty pricey on amazon for a while since it is so new, but if you can wait, the price will drop! I have always had trouble finishing that story, but this adaptation was GOOD!! You should see Gillian Anderson as Miss Havisham!! I watch all my favorites on youtube until prices go low enough that I cans scoop them up! Also, if you have netflix, you might be able to see it that way too.

If anyone is looking for an awesome Cary Grant/Myrna Loy/William Powell film, give "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" a whirl! It's a real treat!!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  9:25:17 PM  Show Profile
I was reading in the St. Louis paper tonight about a group of high-schoolers who have formed a Don Knotts fan club. I remember some of his movies--The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, the Reluctant Astronaut, and my favorite, The Incredible Mr. Limpet.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  12:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow..this is fun. I love Turner Classic Movie channel and recently saw a run of The Uninvited, 1944 with Ray Milland and Ruth Hussey, about a brother and sister who buy an old estate while on vacation that turns out to be haunted. It is a great one! Of course I like the classics such as Pollyanna, National Velvet and Heidi. The attention to detail in costumes, sets, filming on location, the use of animals and the camera's perspective make the films wonderfully alive. I am still trying to figure out what movie I saw in the early 60's was however....it was a science fiction thriller about a group of astronauts landing on a planet and scarry dinosauer type creatures would blend in with the landscape and then suddenly appear. I was about 10 years old then...and it spooked me. Another great book I read in Jr. High was "The Sands of the Kalahari" about an airplane crash in the Kalahari Desert and the events that happen to the survivors. It was later made into a movie which is just as dynamic. I am not sure what the movie title was. But it is a good one. Summertime is also a great movie released in 1955 with Katharine Hepburn. I learned from watching the introduction host on TCM that when Katharine actually swam in the canal waters in Italy making that movie she got a pathogen in her eye that she suffered the rest of her life from. Crazy!
Have fun watching the classics!
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 02 2012 :  10:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Did anyone see the Hallmark movie, "Duke"? I watched it last weekend. It's about a injured military vet who has to put his dog down. Oh my goodness, I cried like a big baby.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 03 2012 :  03:56:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to find out the name of a movie. It's been years since I saw it. Set in London during WWII. A family is pulled apart because of the war, the husband is serving and goes to Africa (I believe) The children are moved somewhere safe. Just the wife stays behind in London. She meets an American serviceman and they start to have an affair.

If memory serves - it may be black & white.

I know it's a long shot - but wondering if anyone knows the name?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  8:42:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bear5

My hubby and I try to watch, at least, one episode of "Frasier" nightly. We call the show our therapy! Does anyone else watch the show? And- I absolutely love Eddie the dog.
Marly

Big "Frasier" fan here,too.Love it!

~Tina

My main blog~ http://frontierhome.blogspot.com

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - May 04 2012 :  8:43:10 PM  Show Profile
I am a big fan of Bing Crosby and Bob Hope movies,too.Anyone else?

~Tina

My main blog~ http://frontierhome.blogspot.com

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  08:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Tina: I'm glad to see there is another Frasier fan here! I love Eddie the dog. Who is your favorite of all the many girls Fasier has had? I'll let you answer first, then I'll tell you who I think is the best. That show makes me laugh OUT loud.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  09:23:23 AM  Show Profile
Annette, "The Uninvited" is one of my all time favorite movies!!!!! I will watch it whenever it is on TCM, no matter how many times I've already seen it!!!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  06:11:52 AM  Show Profile
I love Cary Grant. I watch his movies whenever I can. Jean Arthur and Irene Dunne are two of my favorite ladies. Jean Arthur makes me laugh with that voice of hers. I could watch the films from the 30's and 40's all the time.

Right now I am recording a lot of my old movies from video to DVD. I will probably keep the videos though. I have a combo TV-recorder in my sewing/art room. I like to put on a musical while I work. The old MGM ones are so good as is Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #230l

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  09:51:44 AM  Show Profile
Finally, I saw part of Pride and Prejudice and part of Great Expectations! Would be nice to see the whole thing. sometime.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  06:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Judith, Oh do try and finish "Pride and Prejudice!" You'll love it!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  3:40:27 PM  Show Profile
I love "Pride and Prejudice"! One of my favorites.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic Film Buffs Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page