Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 maryland bans arsenic in chicken
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic maryland bans arsenic in chicken Next Topic  

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  07:54:11 AM  Show Profile
well the question is Why do they need a ban on arsenic in chicken? there is arsenic in chicken. there is meat glue. there is pink slime. they want us to eat this stuff. so if we do not they just sell it to the gov. school system. this is so very sad and bad. farmageddon the movie is now out if you have any thoughts that the gov. is protecting us from bad food watch the movie. even the trailer for it is enlightening to those who are just learning. we just ordered 75 fryer chicks. we sell to cover cost and put up for us. what are your thoughts on this craziness girls?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  08:12:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello Maryland, Duh!!!!!

Saw the movie and was disgusted with massive chicken farms, why can't we all just try to grow, sell, and eat healthy food. Oh yeah, monsanto!

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  08:37:49 AM  Show Profile
How could you see the movie?
Where can I see it?

All I found were the trailers for the movie - not for the movie itself. What I did see was strange.

I've got about 1/4 of back yard as garden space...would love to keep a couple of chickens for eggs (meat maybe), but county ordinance says no chickens on AA County, MD.

Anyway, I want to see this movie. How?

Thanks.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  09:40:45 AM  Show Profile
I would really like to see that, too! Arsenic in chicken?! That's just so awful! Inconceivable! Like banning it would even be a question! Why would it be used in the first place? Wow! Whodathunkit?! Thanks for the update, Sherry - I really, really, really want to see this movie! I've been trying to find, "Food, Inc." forever, too! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  10:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, we were just talking about all this nonsense this weekend. I haven't heard of meat glue. I was at the store the other day and was craving a hamburger. At the meat counter all I could think of was pink slime and I got so disgusted I bought a chuck roast to bring home to grind my own hamburger. Now I have to worry about arsenic in my chicken? Where will it all end? I'm with you and think I'll be ordering some meat birds to raise as soon as DH gets the big coop built. And we've talked of getting a feeder steer once we fence the property. These giant corporations are forcing us to go back to the days when we grew or raised all of our own food.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  11:23:47 AM  Show Profile
along the same line they found prozac in the chicken meat. the growers say it is a small by product. a by product of what??prozac?? so now our kids are getting doped from mcdonalds and school lunches and grocery store meats. then when the kids act out they say hey there they need prozac or a mind altering drug. meat glue is when they spin the blood from butchering and pull the coagulant part out. they use it to glue meat together through it coagulating. it is in a lot of process meat. its the glue that holds the meat together. a fancy chef could not tell the difference of a glue steak and a real. pretty scary. they pick up the trim and glue it and wrap in plastic. next day steak. restaurants are doing this in the back room. the fact that it is a blood product from disgusting beef drugged up and abused it freaks me out big time.

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile
meant to add the movie farmageddon is out. you can get it from the farmtoconsumerlegaldefensefund.org

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  2:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Sherry - that web site does not exist according to Google Chrome.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile
farmtoconsumer.org or ftcldf.org might work if not tell me i will try again

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  07:34:04 AM  Show Profile
The movie has its own website now: http://farmageddonmovie.com/
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  08:10:41 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, yeah.....coming soon.

I try to grow more of our own food. I try to buy more locally so I can see who grows it & where.

I wish I could keep chickens, but county ordinance denies me that pleasure - oh, but I could have 4 cats that tear up neighbor's gardens & foul same gardens with their poop & 4 dogs, that howl and smell, but no chickens that hardly make any noise and if kept clean-no smell.

Hard to get down off my soap box when I start thinking about this.

I do what I can do & leave the rest up to God.

Later sisters.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  2:35:26 PM  Show Profile
I have to ask - what exactly is that pink slime stuff, anyway? I had never seen it before, but we bought some meat from Sam's Club when I was in a hurry a few weeks ago, and when I opened the package, this pink, oozey, semi-gelatinous ick covered the entire contents. I didn't have time to return it to the store, so I just threw it out - it was so gross. I wasn't taking any chances. Lesson learned: meat only from Mary Jane or the butcher who processes and sells all-natural, locally grown meats. They are the only two places we have purchased meats in the past couple of years that haven't made us sick in some way or other! I'm like you, Kathy - I wish I could keep a few chickens and a goat, but we're not allowed, either. Big bummer. - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2012 :  6:46:11 PM  Show Profile
hi there, well from what i think i know it is waste from butchering. off the floor and bad chunks. they soak it in ammonia. then they wash the ammonia out. how i do not know. they slurry the mass of gunk and add it to burger and other products. if you google pink slime or meat glue the stories come up for me. so sorry you cannot grow your own. folks like you are who i sell to. i just gave a farm tour and picked up another customer. 3 gallons milk a week, butter and chicken. yipee real food on our plates we can recognize. so good for you for being wise farmgirls. happy days to you sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic maryland bans arsenic in chicken Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page