Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Bully Trouble-Need To Vent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Bully Trouble-Need To Vent Next Topic  

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  9:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Im just about in tears here. My son has been coming to me almost every day for the past 2-3 weeks about incidents with bullies. In particular, he's having trouble with some younger kids at the after school program. One the kids has even been using curse words. I have spoken with the school and I'm happy with their response to this. They've been very supportive and have been disciplining the kids that are responsible. They've also notified the other parents without my having to ask, which I find reassuring. I know that the main problem has to do with my son's autism. He has trouble reading social cues, so the kids can't always relate to him. I just wish that they could see what a neat kid he really is. He's caring, funny and sooo smart! He's just a really cool kid to have around. It breaks my heart that they don't see what a great kid he is. Example: I often use a rain sounds app on my IPad to relax and fall asleep to. The last two nights, right before he goes to bed, he has come in and turned on that sounds app for me! He just did it to be nice. That's the kind of thing I wish they could see. Anyway, I'm feeling much better now that Ive been able to vent a little! Hopefully things will improve soon. Keep us in your thoughts!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  10:16:53 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, I'm sorry your son and you have to go through this bully trouble. I would speak to the teacher, the principal, the parents. This just should not have to happen. My heart goes out to both of you. I will keep you both in my prayers. Keep us posted. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  08:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, I'm so sorry you and your son have to deal with this. For the life of me, I cannot understand WHY this kind of thing happens...I would definitely stay on the school to make sure they are doing all they can to help your son & stop the bullying. They should have a zero tolerance policy for bullying!

My daughter was bullied when she was in grade school and my son is just going through a little bit of it now...it's just so upsetting to watch your child go through it. Seems that the bullies don't discriminate as far as a reason to be mean (too short, too tall, glasses, wrong clothes, right clothes, etc.) We always told the kids that no matter what they may find in the world, home is always a safe/warm place where they are loved...their port in a storm.

Your son sounds like an amazing boy-you are lucky to have such a loving, thoughtful child! Sending you a farmgirl hug!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2012 :  3:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a great boy. Prayers going out for him and you.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, I know what you are going thru. We have had the same issues. Right now he's in a school for children like him, but there are still a few meanies in there too. What our school is doing now to show that this behavior is not okay, is to make the children who say mean things stand up in front of the class and say something nice about the bullied child. It seems to be working since no one wants to be singled out, especially in front of everyone. Hang in there.

I also think that all schools should show the movie, BULLY. I have only seen previews so far, but since the rating has been changed to PG-13, it should be in theaters everywhere soon.

Lora

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2012 :  10:54:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everybody! Your words are so encouraging!

Lora, I, too, am anxious to see that movie. Hopefully, it will shine a light on the problem and start a meaningful dialogue.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2012 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry you have to go through this. My son will be starting kindergarten in the fall and has apraxia. I'm not looking forward to him comming home after being bullied about his speech. I've run senarios through my head and I'm not sure myself what I'm going about it when it starts happening. I'm glad we live in a small town area. My dh knows the superintendant very well. I guess that's a bonus if push comes to shove. I pray that you and your son gets through this soon. Maybe talking with guidence cousilors to get a professional in to speak to the students about autism might be a positive step in the right direction.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  07:00:24 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, How's the situation? Any improvements? Hoping so!
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  3:53:02 PM  Show Profile
I havent seen any improvements yet. I emailed the school again today because he came to me saying that kids are calling him stupid and king of the imbeciles. I have asked the school to meet with the other parents. I have had enough. I am officially one pi--ed off mama. We'll be seeing what happens in the upcoming days. Thanks everybody for your support through this!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

- Dalai Lama

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Bully Trouble-Need To Vent Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page