Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  8:38:11 PM  Show Profile
Thankfully no car "issues" today and no rain. Of course, I had forgotten that AR has some pretty mountains of its own. I am amazed at how many different colors of green God made in nature, and then again the wide, open land. Saw a few fields of beautiful neon yellow crop but I have no idea what it is. Do one of you farmgirls know? I love the color. We came by the wind farm in OK. It was a marvel to see the rows of wind turbines with their big blades and think "That they are generating energy that we don't have to buy from some other country." We are taking I-40 most of the way on this trip which is the "new" old Route 66 so we are seeing a diner and trading post, etc. that have been here since the auto "heydays" of the 1950s. We had planned to go on to Amarillo, TX today but after reading in the guide book that we would be going by where Custer made his last stand, we decided to stay in Elk City, OK tonight so that we could go and see the Custer movie and memorial tomorrow. We expect to be in Albuquerque, NM tomorrow and spend a day there and a day in Santa Fe too. I have been wanting to go there forever and am so excited about it all. It is chilly here for this Florida girl but the change feels good too. Tomorrow I change into long pants. We feel so blessed to have this opportunity and I am keeping a journal. Gas has usually been about $3.75/gal so far and of course we keep just keep filling up the tank (seems like every hour! LOL) Hugs, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  9:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Joey,
I don't know for sure but the fields of yellow could be canola. I know it is bright yellow and usually grown in fields . . and I think is grown in Arkansas. I've seen it in Scotland as we were landing in Glasgow.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  07:41:56 AM  Show Profile
I think you chose the best time to hit the road Joey...just when the greens are the most vibrant and the buds are beginning to open. The area you are in sounds beautiful! Amazing though the difference in temperatures. Hope you have good weather as well especially in and around Texas.

Are you taking photos??

Not too, too bad for gas prices. Have you noticed it getting higher the further west you go?

Tell us about the diner and what you ordered Joey...I am such a foodie! Keep safe.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  08:34:49 AM  Show Profile
Another amazing day on your journey! Hope you have a wonderful time in Santa Fe...I've never been out that way so I'll be looking forward to your updates from there! Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  08:42:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm enjoying the journey with you. Thank you for keeping us posted. Be safe!!

Lori

Gernerosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need!
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  11:30:37 AM  Show Profile
I agree- totally enjoying your posts about what you are seeing and experiencing. Good for you! This is definately a trip of a lifetime! Are you keeping a journal?
Safe travels for you and DH!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Westward Ho Day 3 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page