Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Antique Piano- To refinish or no?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Antique Piano- To refinish or no? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  2:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I will post pictures when I can but I just got a lovely old upright piano for $99 at the local ST. Vincent De Paul thrift. It sounds great and has no broken ivories. However, the finish is very bad. It has done that thing where is gets all bumpy and thick in places and the wood doesn't seem very protected...

So do I refinish it and make is new/pretty looking again or do I respect the antique finish? I am sitting in the middle of the road with either decision- What says the farmgirls?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  2:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Alee, is the bumpy and thick places from water damage? I'd love to see a picture of it first before I say yes or no. Do you know how old the piano is? Don't part with the ivory keys if they are real ivory. Can't wait to see the picture.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  2:40:03 PM  Show Profile
I used to do a LOT of refinishing, but it sounds like you have some "veneer" issues going on. If it were me? I'd consider painting it. There are some wonderful color washes out there or even a deep dark ebony!

Did you check to see if the sounding board was intact? We spent some major bucks on an old piano only to discover it was pretty much worthless because of a cracked sounding board-

Do you play Alee?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2012 :  3:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Everything seems to be in good condition- it sounds good but needs a tune. I will get some pictures sooN!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  4:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Lucky you, Alee. I'd like to see pics, too. Depending on the age/maker, I'm leaning toward Melody's suggestion of painting. I did that once to an old upright I bought in a thrift store.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Antique Piano- To refinish or no? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page